Author Topic: Is it getting expensive ?  (Read 46670 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Is it getting expensive ?
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 11:23:51 AM »
So it's euros and not pounds that the business people want. What about the tenner at the airport? Do they want that in euros also?

Stoop

Offline BabaYard

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »
Last time I was out in Turkey, a good friend of this board mentioned something that made me stop and think... So many people pay for things and immediately compare it to what you would have paid in the UK. How about comparing it to what a local Turk would pay!! Our delight that things are so much cheaper is actually pushing prices up. Next time you get a price for something, just stop and think for a second. We are all responsible for the way in which market prices increase.

Offline Alan1

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2005, 15:52:19 PM »
Hi Babayard, your post has really made me think and you're so right in what you say. Perhaps we are all guilty of this and we should stop and think sometimes.  Thanks for your post and thoughts.

Offline karen

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2005, 23:28:05 PM »
How can we be guilty of pushing up the prices at the airport when it covers many other countries too, we can't be held responsible for that.
Just another thought how can companies like Burger king get away with charging so much at Dalaman? We made that mistake last year and paid 2 to 3 times more than we do in the UK.

karen

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2005, 23:54:24 PM »
I think what Babayard is trying to say is -- think before you pay the prices. If you think you are being ripped off then refuse to pay. That way you might just make the seller think twice.

We wouldn't stand for it in the UK so why should we abroad?

Stoop

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 23:54:49 PM by stoop »

Offline braveheart

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2005, 04:11:32 AM »
Take a piece with you before you go to the airport - easy

Offline teresa321

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2005, 05:59:45 AM »
I had a whinge a couple of years ago about everything in duty free being (then) priced in German DM and asked why it wasn't in TL as we were in Turkey.  I was informed that it was all German owned and German run, I don't know if that is still the case.

Teresa

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2005, 15:51:50 PM »
Well Teresa everything is now priced in Euros...so who knows? To be honest I always wondered why things weren't priced in TL!

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2005, 18:13:38 PM »
A little warped perhaps but I had great fun watching a family whilst waiting for my flight adding up the cost of their 10 bottles of spirits, tobacco and 4 carrier bags of cigarettes!  They had all thought it was TL priced and couldn't work out why they had paid nearly £200!!!!  Did I put them out of their misery and enlighten them???  What do you think...........
I was a little narked though to get back and watch them float through Customs with not an official in sight.....

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »
Past experience tells me that prices go up dramatically when there is a currency change. Remember decimalisation? That was a right rip off! Same thing happend in Europe with the Euro. Italians even want the Lira back due to spiralling prices since the Euro was introduced. How desperate is that? The Germans are sick to death of it too and it's ripe for a collapse in many financial expert's eyes.

The pound stands at 1.50 euros today and for the life of me I cannot understand why the local businesses prefer the euro to the pound at present (unless they all think they will get in Europe quicker if they use it).

I've not been over this year but I will wager a bet that not many of the new TL coins are being used. I would think most prices are 'rounded' in favour of the seller and not the buyer.

Stoop
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:36:32 AM by stoop »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf