Author Topic: Crap Broadband  (Read 9299 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Crap Broadband
« on: February 06, 2013, 20:08:53 PM »
Is there anything I can get that is better than TTNET broadband? I'm on the unlimited package but spend more time onto customer services than I do watching TV. Each time I get the runaround, it's the phone line, it's the Internet signal, you need an electrician. I've been out and bought a new modem in the hope that it would help. I've tried using my laptop and also purchased Apple TV to see if its any better. The service seems fine during the day but its just terrible of an evening. I was hoping to watch England tonight but with a speed of just 0.10 I've no chance.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Crap Broadband
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 20:21:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about your broadband problems rimms

England are doing fine  :)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 20:43:13 PM »
I was on less than one last month George, I phoned the Istanbul no. and it was corrected in two days, we had a visit from the engineer the next day and now Im up to 7.4

Offline philrose

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »
Is there anything I can get that is better than TTNET broadband? I'm on the unlimited package but spend more time onto customer services than I do watching TV. Each time I get the runaround, it's the phone line, it's the Internet signal, you need an electrician. I've been out and bought a new modem in the hope that it would help. I've tried using my laptop and also purchased Apple TV to see if its any better. The service seems fine during the day but its just terrible of an evening. I was hoping to watch England tonight but with a speed of just 0.10 I've no chance.

Unfortunately TTNET own the infrastructure ie the actual cable and fiber that provides the internet service in Turkey, so switching to a different company will make no difference to the speed. Your only option is just to keep pestering them until they  get it sorted.

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
Tell me about it! We used to get on average 4.0 mps and now average between 0.2 and 0.4. We have called tt net again and again and an engineer has only appeared once and that was to say that the line to their exchange was fine, it's the line from exchange to house that is a problem.

We then took a Turkish speaker along and it was decided that as we had the telephone installed after the internet, we were running 2 lines and that was the problem, so our contract was cancelled and they started again. We really hoped that things would improve, but no.

If you are able to replace the cable to your house then you may have a chance to improve things. We are finding this difficult as we are on a complex and the lines run underground. The builder probably used the cheapest cable there is, so it doesn't really matter what strength we get to the exchange if from that to our house is crap. Of course it works out for them very well as they always blame that.

I phoned them again today and they needed to ask a security question which was my address. I gave them our address (reading it from our contract) and they told me it didn't match with what they had written down, so wouldn't even talk to me!  :( :( >:( >:(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
George I have the same problem when there is a 'big' event on TV, like the England game, which was not helped by yesterday's rain which puts people off of going out to watch the game.  I'd suggest that your broadband is OK, based on all the other times when you receive a 'good' service.  Unfortunately downstream video for TV is a high user of bandwidth, and when lots of people in an area are using it, such as last night, it does lead to bandwidth congestion problems at points back into the core network.

Also if TTNET are doing any prioritising of traffic video gets the lowest priority, so it will always be delivered behind other internet traffic like voice and general data.

I don't believe you live too far from me, so if you want to PM me I'll pop round to see if I can see anything in your home wiring/setup that might help to ease the situation.  Although I think the only way you may get round the problem is to have a higher grade service installed - ADSL2+ or fibre - where there are I believe minimum guarantees from TTNET on bandwidth delivered.

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
I was on less than one last month George, I phoned the Istanbul no. and it was corrected in two days, we had a visit from the engineer the next day and now Im up to 7.4

Andy - What is the Istanbul number? We normally call the generic 444 0375, but will try anything!

Offline busybee

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 13:12:25 PM »
Hi George, sorry to hear about your internet problems, its bloody miserable and soooo frustrating. Our speed test was always below 1.50 We had a problem with our telephone last year, in fact we had no telephone conncection at all.  The engineer came round and said big problem and because the connection point was in a neighbours wouldnt touch it???  We were givien an ex telecom guys telephone number, who sorted it out in 5mins and since then our internet has been brilliant (touch wood) and our speed has been a constant of 5.50.  Charged us 50Tl which i thought was brilliant. If you want his number pm me.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Crap Broadband
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 14:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice all, I had been dealing with their customer services over the phone and the TTNet shop near the big mosque in Fethiye. I have to say the shop is an absolute waste of time. There was a new guy in there today who pointed out the TTNet main office in Fethiye and so I went along there, the security guard was really helpful and he got me an appointment with the chief technical engineer. After running some checks he has concluded that the TTNet cable needs replacing, hardly surprising as a JCB has snapped it on several occasions last year. Anyway, he has booked an appointment for their engineers to come and replace the cable, so fingers crossed. I'm interested in ADSL2? never heard about that before, they are laying fibre optic here at the moment but switch on seems to be a while away.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
Crap Broadband
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 13:52:50 PM »
So more than a week has past since the promise of a new cable, nothing's happened, the service has been as bad as ever, I have been monitoring the speed and I'm averaging half a meg. Last night the internet failed altogether and today I've no phone or Internet at all, after phoning customer services yet again, I'm told that its because I'm so far away from the exchange, the best I can get is 1 MPS. ( first I've heard of this ) I explain that my neighbours get much better connection speeds but she's totally disinterested telling me that if the signal is turned up, it will become more intermittent. 

The engineer just turned up at the communal phone box for our complex, it looks like its been vandalised inside with bare wires everywhere, he plugged in his mobile handset into a point and held it at my ear so I could hear a crackly dial tone, he then said "Electric Man" and walked away. I've already had an electrician here on three separate occasions already.

And so here I am, back at square one, paying for a service that I'm not getting and to be honest, I'm loosing faith in getting this sorted, TTNET phone and Internet operate as completely different companies, this gives them the opportunity to blame each other, and why should they worry? I'm locked into a 2 year contract and they collect their money each month by direct debit.

I've just been out and bought a dongle which will allow me to check email etc but it's not fast enough to stream TV.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf