Author Topic: Mobile Internet Access  (Read 13580 times)

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Mobile Internet Access
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
I have a problem that I am trying to find a solution to.

This year on out trips out I will have no choice but to  take an iPad with me for work...yes I know. It isn't 3G enabled but I can connect via my iPhone to get 3G in Turkey but as my provider is Vodafone the data is expensive when away.

So I am looking for an easy and cheap solution to get mobile internet on a iPad whilsy away.

I have read that others have a Turkish dongle but these do not work with an iPad so any suggestions for a solution would be appreciated as I wish to avoid taking a laptop and getting a Turkish dongle for it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Mobile Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 13:41:14 PM »
I am looking into MYFI, I know that Vodaphone and Turkcel do these, I am waiting to get to Turkey before buying to weigh up the options. Maybe someone in Turkey already has this and can shed more light.

http://www.turkcell.com.tr/bireysel/cihazlar/Sayfalar/vinnailesi/Turkcell-VINN-WiFi.aspx

Offline teetee

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 14:34:04 PM »
Hi Loz thanks for the info I have had a look but it looks like you have to have a 12 or 24 month contract for this although if they did a pay as you go version it would be perfect.

Will wait to see if anyone in Turkey has any other ideas.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 16:48:41 PM »
I do believe there is a pay as you go version, I had a look last October, ended up not needed it, but I think I will this time. 

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 18:43:00 PM »

Teetee,Today in Fethiye we purchased the Turkcell VNN mini wireless wiFi cost 265Tl included Sim, topped up with 39TL for 4GB, it has been used for 3 hours only used 130mb and it is very fast.  it s currently sitting 6ft away, it is the size of a very small mobile phone. total 304Tl Pay-as-you-go, no contract needed.

Purchase on the back street same side as Pasha kebab restaurant Turkcell shop Dogus Electric, great help and cheaper than some of the other shops.

Offline teetee

Mobile Internet Access
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 19:03:33 PM »
Hi loz thanks ever so much for the update. We are out in a few weeks and will invest in one of these. Does the top up run out if not used for a period of time?

Also when you say the back road am I right in thinking this is the one way going round the back by the fish market as I am not familiar with pasha?

Many thanks teetee

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 22:39:32 PM »
Loz, does the sim card fit into the wifi or via a dongle?
I have a dongle and would like a wifi modem thing to plug it into so I can share my internet.
I can see what I want on the net but i dont know if it will work with a turkcell dongle.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
If you have a sim already then i see no reason it will not go into the wireless one, you could take it along to the shop to try,
amazing little gadget.

upload foto

Offline UPtownr

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
If you have a smart phone along with you, you can still 'upload' data only packets (20tl/1GB or 40tl/4GB or 80tl/10GB) to your local SIM card and turn the Personal Hotspot feature on your phone (it is very simple with iPhone, but should be just the same with other smarties).

If you have an 'unlocked' smart-phone (using SIMcard technology -in US AT&T does, Verizon does not-) from your country of origin, you can pop in a local (TurkCell, Vodafon, etc) SIM card that will work for about 30 days+. After that you have to go through the headache of 'registering' it with the communication authorities. Assuming you are coming as a tourist for 3 weeks, you can get away with it without investing in a 265tl WiFi device.

Offline teetee

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:40:15 PM »
UPtownr I appreciate what you are saying but if my UK smart phone is not unlocked and I wouldn't know anyway are you saying I can get a iPhone sim from say Vodafone and used it in my UK regsitered phone for up to 4 weeks before it gets blocked?

If so I would have to get a new sim everytime I come over and also would my iPhone be ok tio use when I returm to the UK. The only benifit of doing it as suggested is that I can use the iPad away from the apartment.

Can you confirm please?   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf