Author Topic: Adnan the Barber - next to Zayra 2  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Adnan the Barber - next to Zayra 2
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
With all of the negatives we read lately - this is why I love Turkey.

You may remember a thread about this guy who opened his little barber's shop in November next door to Zayra 2 near the Sunday Market?
He has come to retire to "the coast" with his wife and needs just a little bit of income.

I negotiated his price to match what I was paying in Gunlukbasi - 8 lira as opposed to 10 lira as I have very little hair - don't have it washed as I always go home and shower so we agreed on 8 lira.

When I went in again after being back in the UK in April I thought he would have charged me 10 lira but he charged me 8 lira so I gave him the 2 lira back as usual as his tip.

He repeated this last week when I went in again only this time when he finished he asked me to join him and his friend (another retiree from Istanbul) whilst he took his breakfast with us!

The 3 of us sat outside his shop at 9.30 am - he made cay for us all - opened his kitchen foil wrap and he had fresh bread olives tomato and cheese which he insisted we taste.

We talked about his son - a policeman in Ankara - who he hoped would be ok during the disturbances - we all agreed young people can get too excitable and are easily led - when I asked was he happy in Fethiye he said "my wife is very happy - I am very happy" - his friend went on to say that he thought Fethiye people still had a village mentality" and they were more interested in money than more important things in life - this he put down to the fact that many had made a lot of money in the past few years and money can corrupt!

I got home 1 hr 30 mins after leaving the house - Gill said - "you were a long time" - I said "yes - I had breakfast with the barber and his friend" - she said "the one you got to do your hair for 8 lira" - "yes I said - that's the one" - wonderful.............

Offline Lotty

Adnan the Barber - next to Zayra 2
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 14:11:11 PM »
That choked me up, I think there is a topic on this from way back which is lovely to read. I think it was you Scunner, (feel free to correct me) sitting in Fethiye Bay early in the morning and an elderly Turkish guy sitting next to you took out his simmit and silently shared it with you. Both complete strangers too. Aahh. . .

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Re: Adnan the Barber - next to Zayra 2
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 16:14:10 PM »
lovely story, he is a really nice gentleman, John goes there and really enjoys his visits.
the story reminded me of when we sat watching some workmen excavating a cave in Cappadocia. When they stopped for lunch they called us over and shared their lunch with us!

oh, another one..

coming back from the hairdresser in Gunlukbasi, 2 old ladies were sitting chatting on plastic chairs by the side of the road. One of them gave me a biscuit as I went by.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 18:32:08 PM »
A real gentleman barber, his English is limited so someone has done him a sheet with translations on, like short, very short, medium, shave etc. which he shows you.
Mark

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 19:26:02 PM »
Why is it that often those who have the least - share what they have the most ?

Maybe they have more than we can see?   ;)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »
Went to get my haircut on Friday - lovely experience but it is clear he is not very busy and struggling. Even Serdat from Zayra 2 came in and presented me with a "free" coffee whilst I was in the chair.

I didn't even negotiate this time - paid the 10 lira and gave a 2 lira tip   ;)

So if you are in the area or at the Market - why not pop in - as it would be nice to see him still here by the time summer comes?

Offline philrose

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
Have to agree, he is a great barber and his prices are very fair. I have been using him since last Winter as he is just around the corner from me..

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 14:09:17 PM »
I have been going to Gunlukbasi Berbers (opposite Seckins) for about seven years. But on Ian's recommendation tried this guy and he is an excellent barber, hopefully he gets enough trade to survive and he is there in May.There are many Turkish barbers in the Uk now,and I am just back from my local one where the service is very good but 4 times the cost of our friendly little man next to Zayra 2   :)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 15:26:20 PM »
Yes M goes there when we are over, he's very impressed with him and always looks and feels great after a haircut. Go on you fellas give him a try?  :D

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 15:59:50 PM »
Yes - and Geoff (Badger) has a lot of hair - he get's twice the value I get :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf