Author Topic: Rugby in Kalkan and surrounding area's  (Read 1718 times)

Offline charlie1

• Newly Registered
Rugby in Kalkan and surrounding area's
« on: June 24, 2013, 17:54:14 PM »
Hello Everyone

A post to let interested parties know that we have started a rugby club in Kalkan called Kalkan Lykian RFC.

It was founded 25 April of this year and our goal is to get our Turkish friends playing rugby! Turkey now as 13 clubs and a national team. Inshallah a league will be formed 2014.

We now have 30 members who mostly are a little older but we have the experience to get the club on a firm foundation to allow development.

We do intend to cater for older rugby people as well as the young, fit one's. Watching live and old classics adding to the fun. We have just completed our first function, Lunch with the Lions in which 65 people attended, some of course are rugby people but others wanting to know more. Don't think its just for men? One of our lady members came up with the idea for the club name!

If you wish to know a little more about what we're trying to do please contact either through our Facebook page Kalkan Lykian Rugby Football Club, email kalkanlykianrfc@yahoo.com or read about us on KTLN.

Calis or Fethiye is not to far from Kalkan so maybe one day we can all get together?   

Offline charlie1

• Newly Registered
Re: Rugby in Kalkan and surrounding area's
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 16:04:51 PM »
Hello all

Just a brief update on the events and reaction of Kalkan Lykian R.F.C. Well we completed 3 functions 'Lunch with the Lions' and in total over 200 people attended!

Our membership as grown to 42 and as you can see in our Facebook page our club shirts are well presented.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/KalkanLykianRFC?fref=ts

Our club colours are based on the ancient Lykian League colours of red, black and silver. Our shirts are quartered in these colours. Our emblem, a 3 legged raven, a ancient mythical symbol used by the Lykians and other eastern cultures.

Members have donated new rugby balls and members from the UK have promised 'used' kit from their rugby clubs.

We have been in touch with the Turkish Rugby Federation and they wish to discuss how we can move forward together.

We are now in the process of getting together a presentation to put before the local authorites to seek assistance in publicizing rugby into the schools.

A lot as gone on since 25 April, our foundation day, but so much more to do to get a rugby game played with Turkish players from within this s.w corner of Turkey.

I noticed that 161 have viewed the original post. Thank you all for taking the time. I will try to keep you all informed as we progress down a long, long road!

Bye for now.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Rugby in Kalkan and surrounding area's
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 16:27:16 PM »
Charlie I'm no peanut hugger fan, but the best of luck with your endeavors to spread this great sport to new parts of Turkey.  I've always thought it would be a great game that the Turks would both enjoy and indeed probably excel at.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf