Author Topic: Hi All Newbie here :D  (Read 5092 times)

Offline Somerset Simon

Hi All Newbie here :D
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »
Hi Angela, any tips for Istanbul as we have 4 days enroute next month. We are staying near Topkapi Palace but have already realised we won't have enough time to see the main attractions let alone everything else. Then another 2 weeks to recover at our pad!
Simon

Offline Menthol

Re: Hi All Newbie here :D
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
Are you driving from the UK to Calis, Simon?

Offline angela

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
You are very central for everything there really. If you find your way down to the riverside at Eminonou you can easily walk to all of the main sights from there, you can walk across the Galata bridge and go up the tower, but just the walk across the bridge is an experience not to be missed. Even without the problems, Taksim square and Istiklal caddesi which is one of the main shopping streets don't do it for me, much too European, could be any shops anywhere, but a ferry up the Bosphorus (from Eminonou) is a great way to see the sights, (and dolphins swimming if you are lucky)
Karakoy fish market to the left as you go over the Galata bridge is a great place to eat with a fantastic buzz, and there are lots of restaurants under the bridge it's self. Just walking along the shore of the Bosphorus is an experience, watching the container ships going up and down. I could go on and on, I love it, and for me I don't really need to go in Mosque after Mosque, breathtaking though they are,  because it has so much else to offer.
(ps, if the shoe shine man walks past you and drops a brush IGNORE IT!!!)

Offline davidlocke90

• F##k Google, Ask me!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
H David, are you coming over with friends called Paul, Dawn, Yasmin and Lydia? We have friends coming in on the same day as you and they are also staying in the Kaan (as they do every year) and they always come with a large group of friends. If so we'll probably bump into you at some point as we'll be meeting up with Paul and Dawn for a drink. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful holiday and maybe see you soon!!

Hi CLR,

No this is not me I have been and come back from Turkey this year :(
If they go there again next year we may bump into each other then as we have already booked for next July/August!
Aslong as the efes is cold and the sun is shining see you soon!

Offline davidlocke90

• F##k Google, Ask me!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Dave,  Istanbul is incredible.  It's a very different Turkey from the Fethiye experience, but we love it. The sights and sounds are fantastic, and even though it has it's troubles (where doesn't!!) it wouldn't put me off at all.

Yes my sister has been a few times and says its a brilliant experience! obviously the fact that some places don't sell beer is upsetting im sure the places that do are just as good and easy accessible :D

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 13:36:29 PM »
Reply to Menthol, no flying with Pegasus as we have done a few times via Sahiba. The flight down to DLM was less than £20 each!

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 13:42:28 PM »
Thanks Angela, very helpful as we are going to try and plan our days (not in the detail I have seen by some on CBF!).
I guess it will be a bit different to chilled out ciftlik village  :)

Simon

Offline Menthol

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 18:35:50 PM »
Well Angela, we have been putting off going to Istanbul simply because I want to get a property sorted in Fethiye. But your advert has made sure I sort something out. Sounds bloody amazing.

What do you mean about the shoe shine man's dropped brush though?  :-\

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 17:16:05 PM »
Well Angela, we have been putting off going to Istanbul simply because I want to get a property sorted in Fethiye. But your advert has made sure I sort something out. Sounds bloody amazing.

What do you mean about the shoe shine man's dropped brush though?  :-\

'Mobile' shoe shine guys deliberately drop a brush as they walk along - which you tell them they have dropped and then they go in for the 'sell'   ;)

And Menthol - If you do go to Istanbul don't forget to book the flights  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 17:21:55 PM »

The Rahmi Koc museum is well worth a visit too !

http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/english/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf