Author Topic: Moving to Turkey  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Yodamum

• Newly Registered
Moving to Turkey
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
Hi everyone.  My name's Chris who you might know from Mozzy's bar when I'm out there.  Just to let you know I will be moving out there in October to my villa in Koca Calis & am looking forward to the change, catching up with friends Helen, Yaya, Sandy, Ivor & many more friendly people that I've met.  Bit of a life changing experience for me!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Moving to Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Hi and enjoy your move to a lovely area. Can be a tad quiet in the winter though.

Offline Yodamum

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
That's what I want - some peace & quiet

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:22 AM »
Hope the move goes well and you are very happy there.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 13:23:35 PM »
Exciting and scary at the same time!

Hope you settle well into your new life.

:)

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 16:25:01 PM »
I am moving out too, its not the quiet that worries me, its that I keep being told how cold it is. How there's not many places with central heating, and not many buildings are insulated ! I'm stocking up on thermals, and bringing my electric blanket with me, roll on spring !!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Moving to Turkey
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 16:37:51 PM »
Winters can be incredibly cold. It's a lot to do with the snow on the mountains and also the construction quality - and the use of ceramics and marble to keep things cool in summer. Well they are a bugger when you are trying to heat a room too.

I remember one day one of the weather websites predicted minus 14 for Fethiye overnight which was unheard of. So I put my weather station jobby outside to see what the lowest temperature was overnight. At 1am I walked the dog and it was perishing - as bad as any night here in Scotland. But the minimum temperature overnight was not -14c, it was +4c. It just felt like -14.

I tell people a story about the Turkish winter, and they often laugh, but it is true. Here in Scotland when it hits 21degrees we wheel the BBQ out. In Turkey when it hit 21 degrees, we went out to get logs to get the fire started. Absolutely true.

An electric blanket is essential. Get a good one.

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 18:06:37 PM »
Thank you Scunner, I certainly will   :)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Moving to Turkey
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 18:57:28 PM »
The best thing about the winter is that it's very short.
We often have 3 layers of clothes on indoors in Jan and Feb and you can see your breath in rooms without heating on.
Our first winter we had moved into an unfurnished house with no curtains, in Feb, I thought I would never be warm again.
Had never been in Feb before and was so shocked by the ice on the inside of the window of the dolmus as we came over the Antalya road to Fethiye on the day we moved here.
Now we have thick curtains across the staircases of the open plan floors which helps a lot, and the best thing we've bought was a radiator towel rail for the bathroom, it's lovely and toasty in there now.
We can't put our arms out of the covers to read, without a neater or aircon and have to get dressed and undressed under the covers, but this is only a few weeks of the year!
We go out for walks to warm up, even Jan and Feb has warm sunshine, but very cold as soon as the sun goes down.
On the bright side, Oct, Nov, Dec and March we are in short sleeves in the daytime and its lovely sitting in warm sunshine.
I never understood people who said they prefer winter here, but I do now.
Am sick of August that's for sure.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 21:19:20 PM »
Absolutely - offer us the choice of staying in Calis for the coldest 6 months or the hottest and there's no contest - definitely the winter. It's crisp, laid back, pretty and far preferable to sitting sweating like a pig while doing nothing at 2am like August! Ok heating is expensive and difficult but a Calis free of the heat and the tourists is also very appealing after a long summer  :)

I remember when I went to Dubai to work, our local area manager telling me that they were looking forward to the next couple of months, as it would be "barbecue season". I laughed and wondered how there could be such a season there. Barbecue season was when it got COOL enough to sit out for a whole afternoon!

Give me the seasons of Calis over that every time  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf