Author Topic: Can We PLEASE Stop Apologising!  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Can We PLEASE Stop Apologising!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 22:04:24 PM »
There is an element of truth to that Martin. But in fairness, she only thinks that because I let her.

Offline madmart

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 22:07:02 PM »
Likewise

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 22:33:01 PM »
typical politician always too late to change things that have happened

Offline mac2010

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
Yes but they are sorry for that too. I am sorry we never kept the iron lady in power. >:(

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
I think we should apologise to the Americans for losing the war of independence and saddling them with hundreds of years of rule by idiots and the construction of a mendacistic state of greed and cruelty

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 17:07:57 PM »
mendacistic

You had Google stumped with that one !  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 17:41:44 PM »
One of Bristol's great political campaigners, Paul Stevenson, who did great work representing our West Indian community, wanted Bristol to apologize for its role in the Africa to N. America/Caribbean slave trade. I never really understood whether he wanted all Bristolians to apologize - including the West Indian community - or whether it was just the formal representatives of the city (the mayor and corporation). No matter - what the city eventually did, via the boldly named "Imperial and Commonwealth Museum", was to put on a superb exhibition on transatlantic slavery which really showed the horror of that episode of history; a history which is still reflected in Bristol today in the grand houses of those profiting from the trade and in the legacy of their "philanthropic" donations to the city. In my opinion this was far better than some empty apology.

But many Bristolians would prefer not to mention this; to forget it completely. So perhaps Paul Stevenson had a point.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
mendacistic

You had Google stumped with that one !   ;)
Had a word at a séance with Dr. Johnson  :)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
One of Bristol's great political campaigners, Paul Stevenson, who did great work representing our West Indian community, wanted Bristol to apologize for its role in the Africa to N. America/Caribbean slave trade. I never really understood whether he wanted all Bristolians to apologize - including the West Indian community - or whether it was just the formal representatives of the city (the mayor and corporation). No matter - what the city eventually did, via the boldly named "Imperial and Commonwealth Museum", was to put on a superb exhibition on transatlantic slavery which really showed the horror of that episode of history; a history which is still reflected in Bristol today in the grand houses of those profiting from the trade and in the legacy of their "philanthropic" donations to the city. In my opinion this was far better than some empty apology.

But many Bristolians would prefer not to mention this; to forget it completely. So perhaps Paul Stevenson had a point.

They were going to do something similar in Liverpool which of course was totally founded on Slavery, but someone had nicked everything  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf