Author Topic: Ex Rugby League Player Steve Prescott Dies  (Read 1060 times)

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
Ex Rugby League Player Steve Prescott Dies
« on: November 09, 2013, 18:23:43 PM »
Being an ardent Rugby League fan myself, I was saddened today to learn of the death Of Steve Prescott after a long brave battle against stomach cancer, aged 39. In his career he played for St Helens , Hull and Wakefield. After being diagnosed in 2006 he completed many tough physical challenges and raised over half a million pounds for cancer charities. He will be sadly missed by all in the rugby fraternity.

Offline Moonlight

• Retired last August now packing, can't wait.....
Re: Ex Rugby League Player Steve Prescott Dies
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:35:19 AM »
Missed this until watching tv yesterday and tribute before ok came up.
I lived in Penketh for several years and saw him play locally.
As you say sadly missed and so young to leave a family behind. At least he's remembered for the right reasons. It's all about how you live your dash between the dates that matters. He made it count.

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »
We too were very shocked and saddened to hear about Steve's death yesterday.  I think because he's battled this dreadful illness for so long and achieved so much in those years we thought he was invincible, sadly not. 

He inspired so many people in the last 7 years since his diagnosis he became a true hero to many.

Sincere condolences to his wife and children.

RIP Steve.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 18:37:59 PM »
What a shame and so young.  Just told Phil, who is a big rugby fan...  I am sure he made a difference raising money and awareness in his last years.

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 20:11:46 PM »
Fellow rugby league fans may be interested in signing the following petition to re-name the Man of Steel Award after Steve Prescott.  A fitting tribute in my opinion.

The petition was started before Steve's death yesterday but has obiviously gained greater momentum now.

"Name the Man Of Steel Award after Steve Prescott."
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/name-the-man-of-steel-award-after-steve-prescott/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=Send%2Bto%2BFriend

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 15:53:37 PM »
Fellow rugby league fans may be interested in signing the following petition to re-name the Man of Steel Award after Steve Prescott.  A fitting tribute in my opinion.

The petition was started before Steve's death yesterday but has obiviously gained greater momentum now.

"Name the Man Of Steel Award after Steve Prescott."
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/name-the-man-of-steel-award-after-steve-prescott/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=Send%2Bto%2BFriend

Thanks Marina, just added my signature. A fitting tribute indeed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf