Author Topic: Taxes going up in Turkey  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Taxes going up in Turkey
« on: January 03, 2014, 22:35:52 PM »
http://www.yellali.com/news/article/39/new-tax-increases-in-turkey
I was reading this today.  I doubt it will make a lot of different to the tourists, but will affect the Turkish people more..

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Taxes going up in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 23:19:55 PM »
The Fethiye Times article [ http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-news/7517-new-year-hikes-to-turkish-tax-duties-and-fines-.html ] covers all the tax increases. One that really surprised me was the tax on motor vehicles..."The OTV tax levies on new car sales will rise from 40 – 130 per cent to 45 to 145 percent.

Now to me, 145% tax on a new car of £10,000 could mean a selling price of £24,500 - £10k car and £14,500 tax?? I knew cars were expensive in Turkey but if that's right it is absolutely ridiculous!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 00:58:09 AM »
They want everyone to travel by donkey obviously.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:13:23 AM »
I know of a 'Shank's Bey', who is renting out horses, but only for residents of Uzumlu !!   ;) 8)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:31:42 AM »
Craziness.

Seems Turkish fuel is only about 5p a litre cheaper than UK. So very out of line with the average income.

Out of interest, how much cheaper is the cost of an average reasonably well cared for second hand car?

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »
Menthol - the 2nd hand car market is very unusual in Turkey. They hold their prices unbelievably. They have a system where it is cheaper to tax as it gets older as well.

Whereas in the UK a car will drop in value by 50% in the first 2 or 3 years - you see people selling cars of that age for about 10 - 15% less than they paid for them. I think the annual inflation rate influences this as well as the car you bought 3 years ago could now cost 25% more!

Sahibinden web site is a good place to look at the prices - in end I concluded that if i was going to buy one you were probably better buying a cheap new car like a Dacia.

http://www.dacia.com.tr/modeller/sandero/

There used to be a weekly second hand car market behind the original Kipa every Sunday and you saw some very old (20 years) cars changing hands !!!

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:29:53 AM »

Out of interest, how much cheaper is the cost of an average reasonably well cared for second hand car?

We went out looking for one of these last Summer and because the prices were so high, ended up buying a new one!!!

TC

Offline SJK

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:51:32 AM »
Two years ago I sold a 2 year old car for more money than what I paid for it new. The new price had increased in the meantime. I was parked outside a hotel in Oludeniz and a guy came out, stating that he was looking for a car like that. I offered him the car for TL 20.000(more as a joke as I paid 19000 2 years earlier new) and he took it, mindblowing...The new ones were about 23000 by then

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
I find it very surprising, You see really old bangers that here the scrap man would turn his nose up at them selling for a few thousand pounds. It is a really bizarre market and at those prices you can see why there are so many busses around.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
Oh.  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf