Author Topic: Which tablet to buy  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Marggie

Which tablet to buy
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Usually my trusty laptop comes with me to Turkey but with the introduction of "the charged" gadgets I need to look at tablets.  Don't want to put my laptop in the hold and don't normally take the battery - it is so heavy - every ounce counts when packing.

So would be interested in what you guys think I should buy.  The only stipulation is that it has a USB port, bought a new printer in January and don't want to have to buy again.  Used mainly for surfing, eMails, booking flights and a bit of office work. 

Would be interested to know if anybody has the HP Pavkilion 2 in 1 with detachable keyboard and what they think of it.

Offline SteveJ

Re: Which tablet to buy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
I my experience the "split" type laptops do not have any usb ports in the tablet. The spec for the HP Pavillion only mentions two usb ports in the base so you wouldn't be able to connect your printer when just using the detachable tablet.

If you do find one, let me know   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Printing directly from all Android tablets is problematic.  Generally speaking, you need a wireless printer and a third party app that'll connect them. 

Its much the same with iJunk, difference is you need an AirPrint enabled printer or third party apps if your printer isnt AirPrint compatible.

Pretty sure both solutions rely on having a local (wifi or wired) network - which if you have, you could look at the Google Cloud Print facility as an alternative.

I looked into it a while ago and gave it up as too much hassle, mainly because the printer I was using didn't have Bluetooth or WiFi.

JF

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
ive just bought the nexus 7 32gb from Argod for £99, i know nothing about them but have bee assured its the best on the market for the money, and its half price at the minute

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »
Argod? I'll bet the service is good   :)

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:38 PM »
Biblical

Offline IanK

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
I have a Microsoft Surface.

Tablet with detachable keyboard, runs windows, has a USB port and comes with MS Office.

You can also add memory to is using a micro SD card if needed.

Nowhere near as many "Apps" as Apple - but it does everything I need it for,

Ian

Offline Steve A

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 17:07:20 PM »
Loved my nexus but no USB,just got iPad Air ,brilliant but no usb

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 17:37:21 PM »
HP Windows 8.1 Omni tablet worth a look - £249 delivered direct from HP, USB port (mini) - as Ian says not as many apps as Apple but this is the full version of windows so apps aren't critical. For example I find iPhone mail terrible as you can't block addresses and make rules to delete spam - on this I just use the same mail program I use on my PC/laptop.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=F4W57EA&opt=ABU&sel=TBL

Offline Marggie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 19:30:13 PM »
Thanks for all your replies guys. 

Steve J,  there are a couple of Samsungs with a USB port. The Samsung Tab 3 10.1" WiFi tablet has a mini USB port on the tablet and a full size port on the charger end (similar to a Kindle charger  lead where the full size USB goes directly into the plug) so I believe I could connect to my printer with this.

There is a Samsung Tab 4 coming out shortly at exactly the same price as the Tab 3 (£279) so pretty sure the Tab 3 will be heavily discounted.

John F, if you found the Google cloud print facility too much hassle, I have no chance.  Had a chat with a guy in Currys today who reckons that as I only bought my printer in January it should be ePrint compatible if  I have WiFi network.  Will have to look and try and "get my head round it" when I go back. 

Scunner, just had a look at the Omni tablet.  Reviews seem pretty good and both you and Ian seem happy enough with the HP Windows and they do have Microsoft Office.

I now have plenty to be going on with to make my choice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf