Author Topic: Too many cats!  (Read 15004 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Too many cats!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
I didn't say that.

Offline Old Nick

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 17:10:31 PM »
Wouldn’t it be more sensible and possibly kinder to put the strays “to sleep”

An animal doesn’t know if the injection you give it is an anti-biotic to make it better or something that will end their life so I don’t see that as cruel.  Better that than to be run over, attacked by a larger animal or die slowly and painfully from a disease.

Actually, Bluwise, you did say that. :(

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 18:59:20 PM »
Sorry, where does it say,
"just kill "strays" because they are in the way"?

Like I said, I'm open-minded to hear the arguments for and against and was giving my opinion.  At no point did I intend to come across as un-caring or heartless  - and I didn't think I had.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 20:01:24 PM »
Your right Bluwise you did not say that.

I'd also suggest that emotive guff like putting to sleep stray humans on the streets do not help the situation either.

Yes Animal Aid does a fantastic job with all its good works, but it would probably take the work of 20 Animal Aids to solve the problems faced by stray animals alone in the Fethiye area, never mind the rest of Turkey.  And if we cannot do everything, then perhaps it is time for some fresh and perhaps radical alternative thinking on the issue.  Particularly as the number of strays - from my own observations - is not getting smaller, but actually increasing.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 21:10:51 PM »
The answer to the problem of stray cats and dogs has to be a complete neutering scheme, which I understand is going ahead in many areas of Turkey, there may be a short term increase in the amount of strays but that should even out in a short space of time.  I am not a cat lover, but I understand that many people give up a great deal of their time to ensuring the abandoned cat population are cared for and fed.  Hopefully the neutering scheme will cut the number of strays in a short space of time.

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 21:11:47 PM »
I believe the average life of a street cat in Turkey is about 3 years.

In the short term, if those cats are actually getting nutrition and medical attention, one would expect that lifespan to both increase and be somewhat better quality. That increased lifespan will mean temporarily more cats - hence perhaps your perception that the 'problem' is worse, -  together with the fact they arent hiding away in pain, injured, starving etc so are now more visible and congregating in safer colonies.

In the medium and long  term, as those same cats will have been neutered the number of strays will fall drasticly. The only other action required to solve the long term problem is to EDUCATE locals from a young age that animals must be neutered and cared for properly, and that having acquired a pet it is a responsibility for the whole of its life.
getting an Animal 'put to sleep' is not that easy in Turkey, to put a healthy stray to sleep would  not be considered appropriate in the local culture.
Sadly i also know some expats just turf animals out whe they return to the uk.

I am not an AA member but the work they have done with street animals has made a big difference to the dog situation, give them time and a little patience to work with the cats!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 15:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the info hubblebubble. 
I too admire the work done by AA but I also have sympathy for snowtop.  There isn't an easy answer and as USB says, sometimes we just have to consider other options.
I was trying to be realistic in what is a very emotive subject. The distress is felt not just by those that want to care for the strays but also by those that feel their property is being abused by the cats. 

Offline Steve A

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 17:19:57 PM »
Don't jump on me here but what is it with expats in Turkey,stray dogs and cats ?People seem to get very involved.I do not like any animal suffering but I think we have to realise that even with all of the kindness shown to them a lot of these animals would be better off dead.You also need to think about those who don't particularly like animals and have to put up with dogs in and out of restaurants,following you home,biting you,masses of cats making a mess in gardens etc and the regular dawn chorus that when one starts they all do.
Well looked after quiet pets in your own home = okay.Strays = nuisance and bother.
I'll get me hard hat now

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 18:50:43 PM »
I think you may need it Steve A !  ;)

Offline Steve A

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 20:03:11 PM »
I think I will Bluwise but just making an honest observation whilst trying not to be offensive

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf