Author Topic: Glassing Terrace  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Gayle Taylor

• Newly Registered
Glassing Terrace
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:36:58 AM »
Does anybody know if you need planning permission to glass your terrace in, we actually did it in our last property with no comeback but everybody seems to be doing it now and when that happens new rules start to apply. TIA

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Glassing Terrace
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »
Its like anything in Turkey - you do it once and never have an issue.  Do it a second time somewhere else and every man and his dug is on the phone to the Belediye complaining about you "adding a room" to your property.

Never had need to do it, but I can remember (from years ago) one person who spent a fair few bob on nice double glazed windows etc for their balcony got a visit from the belediye and this was followed up by a fine and an order to take it all down.  What made it all so galling was that their upstairs (Turkish) neighbours had done the exact same thing, just not so "nicely".  Needless to say, their neighbours "extra room" was ignored...

You can apply for permission to glaze in a terrace, but I haven't a clue what the success rate or charge is.  Maybe someone who's done it legally will be along and can answer that one.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 13:00:51 PM »
I think the success rate from applying via the correct channels is nil. John is right, people just take a chance and often that is fine. Well, till you fall out with a neighbour...

Offline Steve A

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 13:46:57 PM »
When I saw the title I thought it was about one of our local pubs !

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 14:19:25 PM »
If you ask permission it'll most likely be denied.

If you just go ahead and install, you'll probably get away with it.

But, then again.......................... ;)

Offline athura

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 15:58:52 PM »
well JF talks about the fact just that he's got it wrong:
1-if your neighbor has it then it means you can do the same and when Belediye comes all you need to do is to point at your neighbor's glazing
2-yet remember to have a dis-mountable double glazing installed; so if/when it gets ugly you will just say "no need for a fine I will dis-mount it"
all the best
Athura

Offline buddy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 16:03:11 PM »
We would love to turn our unused rear terrace into a badly needed bathroom,  :) but after reading several posts I think I'll keep my money rather than risk it. :(

Offline philrose

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 16:14:18 PM »
A plastic awning type structure is a good alternative. Non perminant, so no planning permission required and a lot cheaper....

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 16:20:18 PM »
1-if your neighbor has it then it means you can do the same and when Belediye comes all you need to do is to point at your neighbor's glazing

Ha ha.  The day when a Turkish belediye applies an equitable policy in respect of building regulations when foreigners are involved is the day Fethiye harbour will freeze over and taxis will take you to Şövalye for a ten spot!

Oh, and I'm not wrong   ;)

JF

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 19:42:43 PM »
We would love to turn our unused rear terrace into a badly needed bathroom,   :) but after reading several posts I think I'll keep my money rather than risk it. :(
You may want to consider more than just glazing to turn it into a bathroom Buddy  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf