Author Topic: Mandolin Restaurant  (Read 4765 times)

Offline poppy50

Mandolin Restaurant
« on: June 16, 2015, 19:51:28 PM »
Have had several meals at this restaurant now and all to the same high standard and service.  Steaks are first class, burgers are top noch and chicken shish well worth trying.  Fabulous ambience and all at reasonable prices.  We definitely be returning time and time again and it's not to be missed.

Offline iancarol

• Hull, UK
Re: Mandolin Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 21:39:23 PM »
I've heard the drink prices are scandalous.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 21:51:38 PM »
8 tl for a lge beer terrible. just go for food if your that hard up . >:(

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Mandolin Restaurant
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:39:25 AM »
I ended up having a long discussion with them yesterday re prices.
After a lovely swim and lunch, and a couple of drinks time to pay the bill.
The 5tl  on the menu Americano, small cup, and basically NescafĂ© that had been given a frothy top, became 9tl when they totted the bill up.
As was the 7tl on the menu Cappucino.

He argued that it was 9tl, at which point I went and got a menu and showed him what it said.
The blame was then placed on the new chef who had started that day ( lunch was delicious) and the fact that they have a new machine and Lavazza and the supplier told him that he should charge 9tl.

I pointed out that of course he would... He wants to sell a machine and give the idea huge profit will be made from it.
I pointed out that the coffee I had was not Lavazza in any shape or form, and that people won't pay 9tl.
I told him the best coffee in Calis is at the Eyna, 6 tl Lavazza and twice the size cup. Eyna is always busy with people drinking coffee, and if they're paying 6tl they will drink more than one, and may order something else to go with it, but if he insists on charging 9tl then he might as well put the machine in the bin as no one will buy it.

I have to admit to reading the riot act, and gave a lecture about continually being disappointed by places trying to con for an extra couple of tl, the short sightedness of people not realising that especially expats are a very useful income as we don't just visit once or twice during a 2 week holiday and bring other friends and family if we leave feeling happy.

Anyway.... He then went through the whole menu with me and asked my opinion on other prices.

Yes, correct, large Efes 8tl.
Bomonti 12tl, way over price as actually cheaper to buy in all the supermarkets so must be cheaper in bulk from their supplier too.

Steaks....he feels his are cheaper than elsewhere, again, I pointed out that everyone raves about Meeting Point steaks and its always busy and they're cheaper..

I also pointed out that in the Uk the process in customer service is that the customer is always right..so when I say, no it's 5tl in the menu, he should check the menu and apologise, not argue it and have to wait for me to get the menu and point it out... By this time a colleague of his , a young woman had come over and she was nodding and agreeing...
I said to them that they have a beautiful pool, and surroundings, but it's empty...and that I was telling them to help them and to make their business succeed.
I could have gone on about how we were there an hour and a half before anyone came to take a drinks order, but decided enough was enough.

I did say we're tired of leaving places feeling dissatisfied these days, it's not like the old days where they chatted and took an interest in customers and offered cay on the house.
Shame how things have changed.

Anyway, all in all a good discussion and my friend reckons I should hold seminars for all the restaurants and a bit of training, lots of hand shaking, and thank you's and we left.

Don't know about that, but I am so sick of the short sighted attitude around here

The end x

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:57:46 AM »
That was a very interesting posting. Not many people would be bothered to have a sensible discussion with a restaurant owner, but it's only by doing so you can perhaps change their short-sighted attitudes. So good for you.

It is the ex-pats that keep these businesses ticking over in the winter and without them they would have to close.  Perhaps they think they can pull the wool over peoples eyes in the summer when the visitors are around and they feel that they are not so dependent on the people who actually live here.

Offline busybee

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
Nothing to do with the Madolin....A group of us girlies had a nice beach at Aroma (at the end of the prom) and were charged 9tl for a fresh orange juice.  When we queried this and said most places including Guvens only charged 5tl.  His answer was it must be watered down.  We assured him it wasnt, his answer was thats the price, if you dont like it............

Offline tel

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Beer at eight TL is much the same everywhere and the food and location is great except on a recent visit the call of the mosque has suddenly appeared from very close indeed and is very loud.

Offline poppy50

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:58 AM »
In the main 8tlr for an Efes is the going rate in Calis and at Mandolin.  Valid point made about the coffee and adjustments are required.  Steak prices are no different to other named restaurant mentioned previously. 

Kayakebab you have identified some good points especially on the hot drinks. 

Best to keep positive and check out for yourself instead of hearsay.  If we had listened to gossip we would not have been able to reflect on the pleasant evenings we have spent. 

Offline Lotty

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »
Well done Kayakebab!  ;D

Offline iancarol

• Hull, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 20:42:05 PM »
ok if you want to drink beer all-night.  ???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf