Author Topic: Turkey raising the stakes  (Read 17134 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Turkey raising the stakes
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »
Isn't English the language of all pilots?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
Apparently not.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:43 AM »
So Turkey has released recordings of the warnings they issued to the Russian bomber.  How do we know that these recording - a la Reg instructing the idiot son to move the Euro shoe boxes - are not a shameless and treacherous "montage"?

Mind you when it comes to it, whose evidence are you going to prefer on this incident, Putin or Reg?  On both's record I'd suggest neither....

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
I read that the warnings were given in the English language, what if the pilots do not speak English?

As Scunner says, it is the international requirement that all pilots speak English, so that cannot be an excuse.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
I read that the warnings were given in the English language, what if the pilots do not speak English?

As Scunner says, it is the international requirement that all pilots speak English, so that cannot be an excuse.

It's a requirement for commercial pilots flying international routes, but does it also apply to military pilots ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 09:22:22 AM »

I've just read somewhere that the recordings don't contain a threat and there is is no proof
  of the dates they were recorded. I don't speak much Turkish so I don't know.
  But how do you issue 10 warnings in 5 minutes to an aircraft  that is allegedly in your air
  space for 17 seconds.?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »
Isn't English the language of all pilots?

Nope.  Only those working within civil aviation - proficiency levels determined by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

In many countries, military pilots have no English language requirements, although most non English speaking countries encourage their pilots to reach ICAO Level 4 which is usually enough to communicate with foreign ATC. 

The problems start to arise when you get two non native English speakers communicating in English - if one has a poor level of English it is very easy for misunderstandings to arise, and that's putting it mildly!

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
So why not warn him in Russian? Oh yeah, they didn't know what nationality the plane was...

Offline davybill

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 13:09:07 PM »
well it seems the Russians only understand one language?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 21:37:34 PM »
And so the repercussions begin

Noting that Turkey had made exports to Russia in many fields from ready-made textiles to food and machinery, Şener said: “Around 36,000 trucks carry goods from Turkey to Russia a year. Some 100-150 trucks are now being kept waiting at Russia’s borders. We face an uncertain situation here. No explanation has been made about the trucks which are on their way to Russia though Georgia, although the trucks are apparently being subjected to a “full examination” on their way to Russia via Ukraine. This means all goods in the trucks will be unloaded and examined in detail at the Russia border, but such procedures can take days.”

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-trucks-face-hurdles-at-russias-customs-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=91702&NewsCatID=345

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf