Author Topic: Vodafone scraps roaming fees in much of Europe incl Turkey  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Wagon Wheels

• Newly Registered
Re: Vodafone scraps roaming fees in much of Europe incl Turkey
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 15:24:46 PM »
Just bought a vodaphone SIM at Asda for 99p. I have put it in my phone and registered it on a £10 big value bundle which includes 1gb data, 200 minutes and unlimited texts with a total rollover for another month and have set it up for automatic 30day rollover. This can be used in Turkey and Northern Cyprus

Sharon

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 16:42:25 PM »
I looked into this in detail in the summer and whilst I am no expert, this is what I came up with, and used:

I got a PAYG Vodafone SIM to put in an unlocked smartphone.
I put £5.00 on it - (Make sure you turn mobile data off at this stage as it charges about £2 per day for mobile data in the UK).
I bought a "Big Bundle" voucher for £30 which I kept until just before I went out to Turkey.
I activated the £30 "Big Bundle" just before my trip, and turned mobile data back on.
All the minutes, texts and data allowance are available anywhere in the Vodafone "Europe" list, which includes Turkey.  That will last for 30 days.
It worked a treat and it was especially good to have the mobile data, which was pretty impressive 4G whilst in Turkey.

After the 30 days it tries to auto renew, but cannot unless there are enough funds in the phone, so it just reverted to normal PAYG with the balance of my original £5 still available.
I made a diary note to top up with another £5 after 3 months and I sent a random text message so that the phone will continue on PAYG.  It needs to be topped up and used at least once every 3 months to keep it alive.
Next year when I go back to Turkey I will put enough top-up in the phone to activate another "Big Bundle" - maybe less than £30 next time as that one had way more minutes, texts and data than I actually needed, and they do them for £10 and £20 with lower usage allowances.

They also have a very useful app which shows you exactly where you are with your usage of minutes, texts and data.

So, I hope that might help someone, and apologies if was a bit of a ramble.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 17:09:50 PM »
That's really useful info - thanks.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 17:43:32 PM »
Thanks very much for replies, pretty sure im going to ask Santa for the Nokia and use my Tesco one ( with rubbish battery more as a computer) that is great info David, one more question actually 2! What is the rollover part with Vodaphone & will i need to register/ apply for the big bundle thingy? Thanks very much   :)

Offline DavidNicholson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 13:03:46 PM »
What is the rollover part with Vodaphone & will i need to register/ apply for the big bundle thingy?

As I understand it, the rolllover part is if I had allowed the auto-renewal for another "bundle" the following month, then my unused minutes and data would have carried forward to that new month, in addition to the new allowance. (Hope that makes sense!).

The "Big Bundles" can be bought by way of a voucher from a Vodafone shop, and I think, also on-line.  In addition, I am pretty sure that if I put a top-up on the phone so that I have, say, £35 in total credit, then I can spend £30 of that on a new "Big Bundle" through their menu of top-ups.  Not done that yet, but that is my understanding.

Again, in my understanding, they treat the normal PAYG and their "bundles" differently.  Normal PAYG is just using your credit on an ad hoc basis for any calls and texts that you make, with a daily charge for data, whereas if you buy a "bundle" you are paying for a 30 day period with a given allowance of minutes, texts and data.  That puts you in the same situation as you would be in if you had a pay monthly contract, but it gives you the control of choosing exactly when you want to pay for 30 days worth of allowances.

Hope that clarifies.  Good luck.

Offline busybee

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 05:41:05 AM »
Have lost my UK PAYG sim card for my basic phone, would getting the £10 one above be the best option, for using in the UK for a couple of weeks, twice a year? Dont need internet. 

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 18:44:52 PM »
I changed my monthly contract from EE to Vodafone this summer, purely on the fact I can use anything I get in the UK in Turkey with no penalty. Sat on Calis Beach surfing the net via 4g was certainly better than constantly trying to find a bar with free WiFi, only problem was I didn't get quite so many beers last trip  ;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 16:13:41 PM »
Thank you very much again David for the info iv gone ahead and bought a Vodaphone moby ????

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf