Author Topic: First Reported Fine for Non-Registered Rental in Calis - 20,000TL  (Read 14536 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
First Reported Fine for Non-Registered Rental in Calis - 20,000TL
« on: September 16, 2017, 16:10:10 PM »
I understand a British property owner in Calis has been served with a 20,000TL fine for renting out to holidaymakers without registering the property.

More importantly possibly, the renters were allowed to stay, but only because they could show they only had a few days of their holiday left -
 by showing their return flight booking details. The police confirmed that had it been at the beginning of the holiday, they would have been evicted.

So those who believe nothing will happen to them if they don't register, need to rethink. And people who innocently book a private apartment/villa need to see evidence it is registered or they could find themselves out on the street.

Offline Bluwise

Re: First Reported Fine for Non-Registered Rental in Calis - 20,000TL
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 17:02:33 PM »
If it wasn't for this forum and a few FB groups, how would holiday-makers know this?  There is nothing on Owners Direct, Holiday lettings etc that I have seen and that's where a lot of people head when looking for villas and apartments to rent.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 17:50:11 PM »
It is a tricky situation and sites like Owners Direct etc probably don't know about it and it wouldn't particularly concern them either. There is certainly not anything to stop people claiming they are fully registered with the authorities when they are not, and this could lead to innocent renters being turfed out.

I am asking whether there is something (a certificate, form, paper) people can ask to see that proves the property is registered before they book as I don't have any involvement with property in Turkey these days.

I will of course add any new information here.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:12:52 AM »
Not naming anywhere as it is now history but recently spent a month in Calis in a commercial ( Not Private) rented apartment where we were certainly not registered and in fact for the whole period were never even asked for our passports !

Offline George Warner

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »
I'm sure,but cannot prove,our Turkish/German house owner neighbors are renting out their properties without being registered.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
You can let the taxman prove it George  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
They were very lucky to have been allowed to stay.  As I've mentioned before, when an illegal rental is closed down in Istanbul everyone has to leave the property.

Andalucia isn't much different, except the fines are higher - potentially up to €180,000!

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
There is a paper the owners are issued with when they register with the police apparently - I am trying to find out what it is called so potential rentees can ask to see it.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 13:28:33 PM »
This was always going to be a nightmare. Ill thought out with too many people saying too many different things. Trying to get an official answer is impossible.

It's just another nail in the coffin as far as Turkey is concerned but I guess they will be happy with busier hotels and cheaper houses for sale!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 14:06:08 PM »
It certainly makes it more difficult but owners should be registered with the tax office anyway if they are renting out - and registering with the police is a far easier process than that. Then let your property management co look after everything.

The bigger nail coming towards the coffin will be the Daily Mail stories of innocent Brits being slung out by Turkish police. That will put many off holidaying in Turkey, even those considering a hotel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf