Author Topic: Cost of living in Calis  (Read 7172 times)

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
Re: Cost of living in Calis
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »
Great Reply Kayakebab

We like many, are considering drawing our pensions early at 55 and living a more sedate lifestyle around Fethiye. We came over this Christmas just to get a feel what it was like out of season and loved the place even more.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 20:01:25 PM »
Here here what a great post & read Linda ????I know we dont live full time and never will be moving over full time,( that ship has sailed and now i like having the best of both worlds)  i do love the freedom now I have residency of coming and going as i please...last year I did 5 months which were fab and defo felt like i was living not holidaying...sometimes I miss the "excitement feeling" of ooh im going on holiday and so it was lovely to spend 10 days at hotels in Antalya recently and have that "were on our holidays" feeling but 10 days in a hotel was defo enough for us   :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 20:55:45 PM »
Is inflation a serious consideration ?

If it runs at 10% per annum the £ 500 would be £ 665.50 in 3 years time.

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 07:56:24 AM »
Is inflation a serious consideration ?

If it runs at 10% per annum the £ 500 would be £ 665.50 in 3 years time.

It Is,  but 5 years ago the lira was 2.65 to the pound now its 5.30  that's 20% per annum for keeping your cash in sterling

using the same theory £500 streling would be equivalent to a Turkish value of £864 in 3 years if the exchange rate continues on its overall trend

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 07:43:11 AM »
Great post Linda, I love these threads about the cost of living here :-)
It is very much 'how long is a piece of string'?
Yes, inflation is creeping up,the prices go up in leaps and bounds - 1 minute a can of beans in Kipa is 6tl, the next week its 9tl !!! Just one example.
The exchange rate is making me a lot better off at the moment, when I moved here the rate was 3 to the pound and now its 5, but it could easily go the other way and go back down, great for Turkey of course.
I personally just manage on £1000 a month, but that includes £300 rent. I don't smoke or drink much, and I no longer run a car, I look at Linda's post and wonder how they do it as a couple, but we are all different, and some people manage their money better than others I guess :-)

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
What about hairdressers,a manicure ,pedicure and the occasional Turkish Bath? All very necessary!!! :D

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 10:16:42 AM »

Lived here over 10 years now, never been to the hairdresser, had a manicure or pedicure, I have had a bath at home now and again in that time, does that count as a "Turkish bath"  :D :D :D :D  ;)  ;) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
No way! you have to suffer on the slab to qualify! Hope that you are keeping well  :D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 18:49:31 PM »
Have a thought for The locals who don't have anywhere near £500 a month to live on..Even when they do get to pension age..I know English women married to Turkish men who really struggle.. I have also seen what some families in Gunlukbasi do to survive.. I would never say "live like a local" as it is nearly impossible for most Brits..

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 19:41:30 PM »
Everyone I know who's come up with a "monthly figure" has conceded subsequently that in reality it was double their original estimate  :)

Saying that, if the lira keeps in the same direction you'll be able to live, eat out four times a week and run a Range Rover all for about fifteen bob in sterling!

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf