Author Topic: Ever drive to Calis?  (Read 4836 times)

Offline WendyA

Ever drive to Calis?
« on: August 19, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
Not sure if anyone is interested but we spent a month driving to Calis, a month there and a month driving back this summer. I know some people just belt one way in 3 or 4 days sometimes but, if you are looking for a holiday and have the luxury of being able to do something similar you may find that our route is of interest? I made a blog on Facebook showing the stop offs - all very interesting. If you would like to see it register for this link...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/207825469810470?multi_permalinks=257301154862901&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1534586934265181&ref=m_notif

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Ever drive to Calis?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
We plan to do something similar next year.

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »
Followed your trip on fb Wendy. A great read with some stunning photos.   :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
It's something we'd love to do in the future so will have a good read at your link
Thanks Wendy

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
Hi Wendy we are doing the same thing soon have you got any tips, routes and problems that may have occurred. I don’t have face book so didn’t follow the original posts
Thanks

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 15:30:12 PM »
I have COPD and the respiratory police have decided that flying is not for me this year and maybe next. With that in mind we will drive to Fethiye at sometime convenient to us. I'm aware of the different routes people use but keen to try a different way. A drive to Villach in Austria and there use the rail car transporter to Edirne in Northern Turkey. Two overnights on the train and a break from driving. Edirne to Fethiye approx. 15 hours...
Be interested  to hear from anyone who has gone this way and their experiences good or bad!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 15:39:16 PM »
On the Edirne to Fethiye section of the route I'd definitely recommend the coastal road. Split the section into at least 2 or 3 days and give yourself time to have a look round Canakkale, Bergama, Izmir, Soke, and Milas etc.

Don't forget to buy your HGS toll sticker in Edirne. You can get one at a PTT if you present your passport and a photocopy of the vehicles V5(C). Last time I checked they cost 10TL but inflation may have hit them by now. There aren't any toll booths on the roads, just banks of ANPR cameras and HGS readers, and you can't pay in arrears.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 15:49:51 PM by KKOB »

Offline WendyA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 16:30:32 PM »
I'd just say to people to take it as slowly as you have the time to do - and can afford with stop-offs!  We went 2 totally different ways, Trainer, - both great in their own way. Cheaper on our route down due to the countries we visited. Non-bracketed are places we visited, others where we stayed.
Route down - Reims, (Metz), Heidelberg, (Wurzburg, Nuremburg), Munich, (Berchtesgarden National Park and Konigsee), Salzburg, (Werfen, Villach), Lake Bled, (Lake Bohinj), Ljubiana, Zagreb, (Plitvice), Sremski Karlovci, (Novi Sad), Belgrade, Sofia, Plovdiv, Burgas, Sozopol (Nessebar, Malko Tarnovo), (Istanbul), Bursa, Kusadasi, (Milas), Bodrum peninsula, Fethiye. This took us 29 days so we could enjoy it.
Route back - Marmaris Peninsula, Izmir, (Pergamom, Troy, Cannakkale), Eceabat, (Gallipoli), Alexandropoli, (Nestos National Park, Xanthi), Thessaloniki, (Vergina, Pozar, Veria, Meteora), Parga, (Igoumenitsa), then overnight crossing to Brindisiin the south of Italy. Can go higher up to Bari or Ancona but lots of great stuff further south!
(Brindisi, Lecce, Locorotundo), Albarobello, (Monopoli), Matera, (Trani, Peschici), Parco Gargano/Monte Sant'Angelo, (Sulmona, Pescasseroli), Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo, (Scanno, Norcia), Spoleto, (Assisi), Gubbio, (Urbino, Ravenna), then we stayed with friends in the hills above Bologna for 3 nights. (Bologna, Maranello, Modena), Como, (Lugano, Locarno), Lucerne, villages in the Alsace staying in Colmar for 3 days, Strasbourg, (Savernne), Lille, (Calais), home! We had planned on Luxumbourg too but ran out of time as 90 days insurance - home, car and holiday - expire then without difficulty. This took us 33 days.
We saw magnificent castles and churches, cities and countryside, wild wolves and flamingos, high hills and mountains, amazing waterfalls and fabulous remote villages, monasteries teetering on rock pinnacles, the graves of Alexander the Great's father and son, complete with artefacts, the largest ice caves in Europe, trulli dwellings and cave houses, as well as other amazing architecture and mosaics (particularly in Italy), ancient Roman ruins and seaside towns. We wine and champagne-tasted, enjoyed some varied and tasty food and drink, shopped at totally different destinations, went to the Ferrari Factory and museum, walked in spectacular countryside, took boat trips on lakes, loads of cable cars, watched pasta being made and a falconry display above a Medieval Austrian Castle high in the mountains. Just a few of our experiences!  If you can do something similar you will have a fabulous time, but, personally I see little point in belting there or back in about 4 days!

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 17:30:13 PM »
Wendy did you use a sat nav if so what type was it

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 17:48:00 PM »
Trainer, I've used a TomTom GO and a smartphone with Google Maps. Both them were 99% accurate and very easy to follow.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf