Author Topic: Wildlife and the destruction of their habitat.  (Read 2686 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Wildlife and the destruction of their habitat.
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:49 AM »
I’ve posted this in the Çalis forum even though it affects Koca Çalis only. I think a wider audience is needed.

For those that don’t know, Koca Çalis is an area with a canal and a few natural lakes that are full of turtlea, fish and other aquatic creatures. They also attract kingfishers and many other wild birds.

Yes the area floods and many homes are threatened every year. We’ve asked Muski and the council time and time again to keep the waterways clear of dumped rubbish and the canal exit clear at the sea entrance.

Well - just when we think we are getting through to them one of Muski’s engineers has told us that the whole area will be built on and the lake we have between Saglik, Cicek and Telmessos will be filled in. As far as the council are concerned the lake is just another parcel of land (we lost about 20% of it two years ago when they build the Barut staff accommodation on it.).

I’ve no idea if it will help or hinder the flooding situation but I do know that the local wildlife will be devastated.

It seems when it comes to money that the turtles aren’t as protected as we are led to believe.

The Fethiye Times have been informed to see if they can raise some concern for the local wildlife in Koca Çalis.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Wildlife and the destruction of their habitat.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »

Offline George Warner

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 15:37:34 PM »
Stoop,
 This is the first year there have been high speed power boats operating in the Koca Calis Bay,Banana boat Paraboat etc, this is also the first time iv'e seen photos of Turtles which have been very obviously hit by, and killed by,boat propellers in this area,Coincidence!!!!!
 On one hand we have people doing their  best to protect,save and nurture Turtles back to health,and on the other, uncaring unthinking, {lets just make money]idiots,seemingly doing their best to provide casualty's.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 16:13:50 PM »
Stoop,
 This is the first year there have been high speed power boats operating in the Koca Calis Bay,Banana boat Paraboat etc, this is also the first time iv'e seen photos of Turtles which have been very obviously hit by, and killed by,boat propellers in this area,Coincidence!!!!!
 On one hand we have people doing their  best to protect,save and nurture Turtles back to health,and on the other, uncaring unthinking, {lets just make money]idiots,seemingly doing their best to provide casualty's.

Totally agree. They are supposed to be protected but I guess money comes first.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 16:25:10 PM »
Turks love their country but have no regard for it's flora or fauna.

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 20:13:41 PM »
So sad to hear, Now I've been living here for over a year I can understand more the damage being done to the natural wildlife & fauna by building, waste rubbish, over population of cats etc etc, sad to hear & see but until the government listens I don't think there's a lot you can do.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
We've let Lyn Ward know at Fethiye Times to see if they can cover it. Some of us have also written to the local council and to Mugla to let them know our feelings.

They built staff accommodation of part of the lake a few years back for the Sensatori. Now that's being extended with another section as well as another hotel being built nearby. I wonder if we will see more staff accomodation going up on the lake (which we are told is not a lake but two parcels of land).

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
HAYED (formerly Hayvan Dostlari and Animal Aid) have also been informed of the situation and hopefully can assist in getting this deplorable decision revoked.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 14:37:40 PM »
Stoop don't think you're on the expat zone but I did make a few suggestions and I have added a few more here in response to Dave's question there about "what can be done:"

1 Set up FB Page

2 Contact and involve Turkish local/national environmental/wildlife organisations for support/action.

3 Open a Dilikçe (spelling) in Turkish outlining the case as you see it and hand into Governor of Fethiye, directed to the appropriate Ministry/ies and they have to by law look into it.

4 Petitions useful to raise awareness and support. Must conform to Turkish rules to have any standing and in both Turkish and English.

5 Ask the Photography Group if they've got photographers that can take good quality photos of wildlife there especially any protected species.

6 Get legal advice.

7 Organise a small group of volunteers to help with ideas and implementation.

8 Organise a protest.

9 Contact the local Turkish press. It's surprisingly easy to get local coverage in newspapers and cable/local TV networks. Local press can lead to national coverage.

10 Prepare standard letters in Turkish and share (on FB Page) that people can copy and paste and send to the Muğla MPs, and relevant local offices, Ministries locally and nationally. Addresses and emails should be provided.

11 Ring Muğla area helpline for advice...

12 Familiarise yourselves with the relevant legislation

13 Find someone that translate documents, legislation, prepare the Turkish for petitions, letters etc for free

14 Be prepared to live and breathe it for a while if you want to win.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf