Author Topic: How to stay in Turkey and not have the first idea about the place.  (Read 19793 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: How to stay in Turkey and not have the first idea about the place.
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2015, 16:07:46 PM »
Having worked in hotels for the last 40 years I can tell you now that a 1500 bed hotel would be massive. My last one, the tallest in Qatar with 57 floors had some 700 keys. Some 300 of those were apartments. One, two and three bedrooms.
We only just topped 1500 beds.
I have not seen a building like that around here.

It is the Sensatori Jack.  A resort.     :)  Take note Fernando Torries and  Littlereddevil    :) 

Wordbird, we do know the real Turkey and had a few drinks at a restaurant yesterday lunchtime. We also know where we could have got drinks in last night and were invited to two places who were serving drinks.  After drinking at lunchtime we just decided to go to the Main Street and have a meal at Brothers. It was a shame that the Zabita had been around and we heard some people had been fined.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 17:23:07 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2015, 17:13:25 PM »
It was a shame that the Zabata had been around and we heard some people had been fined.

The Zabita were simply doing their jobs, we hear folks complaining loud enough when the belediye or Zabita don't do their jobs...

Those that got fined have only themselves to blame for getting caught - they know the rules and if they aren't smart enough to break them without getting caught then tough.  There's usually a good few in Fethiye who manage to sell to tourists on polling days without issue. 

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2015, 17:22:28 PM »
You don't know the half John and I cannot print it here.   However what we heard last night was shocking...mostly amounts asked and bars selling drink. 
Personally, I canot see why drink cannot be sold??  Calis needs tourists and tourists are not voting, so why this rule?   This is exactly what we heard last night. 

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2015, 17:33:00 PM »
You mean the "amounts" the Zabita were asking, or what the bars were charging?

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2015, 18:39:02 PM »
Jacqui - you mentioned the Sensatori Resort - where is it please

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2015, 18:59:27 PM »
Just passed Kooca Calis.  It can be seen from the Letoon away in the distance.
http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/turkey/turkey-dalaman/fethiye/hotels/sensatori-resort-fethiye.html

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2015, 19:12:48 PM »
You don't know the half John
I bet he does - and a lot more besides, a lot more than most people on here. The "drinking on election day" rule has been in place as long as I can remember. It certainly precedes Erdogan and the AKP, perhaps it goes back to the first Ataturk/Inonu constitution. I believe many other countries have the same rule. The purpose is to prevent alcohol-fueled violence on election day. But surely something like MHP supporters attacking the HDP office in Fethiye wouldn't happen, would it?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2015, 19:37:53 PM »
Personally, I canot see why drink cannot be sold??

Because it's the law of the country you are a guest in ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 19:47:43 PM »
As far as I'm aware its not a "rule" but a law, hence the ability to punish those who break the law - and yes, it has been about for years, but not as far back as Ataturk. He would never sign of on something like that, he liked the raki too much!

Its the YSK (the election board) who stipulate when and how long the ban is for - I think it ends up in the official gazette to make it a "law".

I'm fairly sure that the ban ended at 6pm in Istanbul last general election and I seem to remember one election (a good few years ago) where the bars in the Paspatur were all closed during the day but opened at 6 or 8pm and from then on it was business as usual. 

Don't know what all the fuss is about, I mean its one day every two or three years.  If someone is so desperate for a drink that its an issue, then they've got bigger problems to think about.

JF

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 20:02:10 PM »
I have a confession to make.

I've been living in Fethiye for five years now (all year round) and have not been to Saklikent yet.

But I should get away with it since it's not "the real Turkey"  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf