Author Topic: Turkish Lira  (Read 3976 times)

Offline imperialwizard

Turkish Lira
« on: March 27, 2019, 14:18:39 PM »
Just a 'heads up' for anyone in UK ..TL may be hard to source in the coming days.
I ordered some over the weekend when rate looked attractive, but received an email
to say 'due to political uncertainty in Turkey' they are finding it hard to source and fulfil
 their orders.They hope it is only temporary and will update in the coming days.Refund was
also offered....but with the political uncertainty looming in UK for our currency, no thanks!

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
Re: Turkish Lira
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »
Just a 'heads up' for anyone in UK ..TL may be hard to source in the coming days.
I ordered some over the weekend when rate looked attractive, but received an email
to say 'due to political uncertainty in Turkey' they are finding it hard to source and fulfil
 their orders.They hope it is only temporary and will update in the coming days.Refund was
also offered....but with the political uncertainty looming in UK for our currency, no thanks!

Strange, we had no trouble with getting TL at the post office? We noted the good exchange rate last week and whilst preparing for our start of the season trip in late April, decided to order £500 worth. No Issue, collected from PO 3 days later?? Wonder if that was their excuse?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 13:22:00 PM »
I asked at our local PO if they had TL in stock. They have, but have been told by regional management not to sell any "until things in Turkey become clearer next week".

Offline Wasp0

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 14:03:14 PM »
I asked at our local PO if they had TL in stock. They have, but have been told by regional management not to sell any "until things in Turkey become clearer next week".

What is happening in Turkey next week (or this week?) Is the president up to something again?

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 14:09:03 PM »
Possibly!  ;D  ;)
It's actually local elections in Turkey on Sunday.

Offline Wasp0

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 14:19:12 PM »
Possibly!  ;D   ;)
It's actually local elections in Turkey on Sunday.
Hmmm, can't think 'LOCAL' elections would make currency exchanges hold onto their TL? Still who knows with Turkey  :).

Thanks for the info Marina.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 18:38:26 PM »
It's not just the local elections that will have an effect on the exchange rate.

If Turkey goes ahead with its plan to purchase air defence missiles from Russia we could see further sanctions being imposed by the US government.

Whatever happens to the TL rate, if it falls any further RTE is bound to blame "outside forces" and "the Enemies of the Republic" again.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1107296/turkey-russia-US-f-35-fighter-jet-washington-moscow

At the time of posting the TL has made a further fall against the USD. It's still holding roughly 7.28 to the £ because of the Brexit fiasco.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 18:46:15 PM by KKOB »

Offline davybill

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 05:51:44 AM »
Well it is outside forces like USA that do it. first becaus they arrested a USA  Pastor, and then because Turkey buys Russian arms.
instead of the USAs. Blackmail I call it. because the TL is linked to the Dollar.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 09:12:18 AM »
I must challenge you on this economic appraisal davybill

Firstly, a country can hardly link its currency to the dollar then complain that the dollar is influencing its performance.

Oh, and secondly, it isn't.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
I think the general gist of Davybill's point is correct though. It is thanks to the US in part, quite a substantial part, that our exchange rates are messed up because of the sanctions imposed by the US last year from which they haven't really recovered. I do know there are other issue related to the performance of the economy btw  :D

And I am not quite sure what it has to do with the Trump administration who we buy our fighter jets from.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf