Author Topic: Sea pollution ????  (Read 52540 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Sea pollution ????
« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2015, 22:43:56 PM »
I'd have thought that, if they'd built a pipe out into the bay to discharge sewerage, someone would have noticed the construction going on.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »
Fined 8,271,000 tl for an illegal basement. 4,132,000 for the construction co & the balance payable by Barut, owners of the Sensatori. In addition they have been fined 80k tl by the coastguard for sea pollution
 ----------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know why the the 80k tl  ????   and why the Thomson's message made no mention of this???

Offline Phil

« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Reading the Thompson rebuttal statement prompts me to ask a question that has been worrying me for some time.......... and has just been asked by KKOB

Where is the pipe that is allegedly discharging into the sea ?? Did anyone see them installing it across the beach ??

Presumably it would have been a large pipe requiring a large trench to be dug. Given the contours of the land I think it would have to be a pretty deep trench by the time it got to the sea to allow for sufficient downhill gradient ? In theory it would also have to go some considerable distance out from the shore and this type of pipe usually becomes visible after a while.

Where is the actual outflow into the sea ??

I think it would actually have been cheaper to install a small filtration system instead of laying in the pipe ?

Any clues anyone ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
I heard they take it out in plastic cups

Offline Phil

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Stand by.......there will now follow lots of Efes recycling jokes .............. "So that's where Efes comes from."  ....... etc

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
Well I'm at Koca Calis beach now. The wind is blowing off the sea a heck of a pace. The sea is a different colour for at least 200 yards out which is obviously caused by the sand being churned up ( trust me I'm a fisherman ).

I've just walked about 100 yards in both directions and only seaweed is being washed up. I would have expected to see any nasties as well but there is nothing.

Not defending anyone but I've yet to understand why a multi million pound hotel would discharge human waste into the sea. I think there's much more chance it's the odd boat coming back to Fethiye that is discharging it's waste where it shouldn't.

Great thoughts about the pipe as well. Did anyone see it being laid? Also does anyone have an actual link to the reports on the fines?

Ask said earlier - locals are saying it's the new staff block causing the problem but I have my doubts about that even more. It's a good half mile to the sea from there and I can't see them going to the trouble of laying a pipe that far when there are far cheaper options.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:03 PM »
I've just spoken to a bar owner on the front and he's adamant it's the boats discharging their waste. He's complained to the ministry about it.

Maybe getting rid in port has risen in cost and some are not willing to pay it?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
I've just spoken to a bar owner and he's adamant the problem is being caused by the boats discharging their waste at sea rather than pay to do so in port.

In fact he's complained to the tourism ministry about it as it's obviously going to affect business.

So the plot thickens  :)

Offline Phil

« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »

The more you think about the idea of pipe, the more and more unlikely the idea that one exists becomes.

Given the location of the hotel the (rather long) route of any pipe to the sea would have to cross land that they do not own. Even in Turkey this would be a difficult thing to do.

The pipe would have to cross the beach road. The disruption during the installation would have been immense. I have seen the result of pipe laying elsewhere and there would now be a massive scar on the road and the landscape where the pipe was laid.

I think it is time to assume that no pipe exists and before there is any more chucking of brown stuff the facts should be checked much more carefully............. as an owner of a hotel, publicly and falsely accused of being the cause of the problem I think I might get quite upset............ I might even consider legal action........

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2015, 13:07:38 PM »
I've just been up parasailing and launched from what I think was the new hotel (which looks to have very good facilities which is just as well as it is completely isolated).

The slick/channel of sewage is really obvious from the air. As we passed over the top of it, under the parachute, I could see the speed boat that was dragging us go through the slick/channel and the brown waves that were created....

Looking behind us the channel was very clear and looks to originate some way out from the hotel. It is taken by the currents down towards Calis mainly but it also appears to go a little the other way too.

Not pleasant to think that people are swimming in that, even if it has broken up a little by the time it hits the shore.

Turtles vs Turtlesheads....
[/quote

Although this post suggested opposite? Blindside??

J

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf