Author Topic: Family and Friends  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Maz

Family and Friends
« on: July 24, 2010, 23:51:31 PM »
Hi - a question for those you who have property in Calis, any particular reason why you would, or would not, invite family or friends to stay in your holiday home?  

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
Family and Friends
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 00:29:36 AM »
Yes :D

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
When we bought our apartment we had planned to rent it out to family and friends for a small amount to put towards running costs and our flights,however when the place was finished we loved it so much that we decided we did not want our bed slept in by other people and maybe possible breakages of things and we really did see it as a second home.Also I had taken some people with me on holiday to Calis when we first had the place and they did not fall in love with Calis as I had, which I found a real strain on my precious holiday aware that the holiday was not turning out as I had envisaged! So in the end I took on an extra job to pay for all our flights and we just stand firm and say we are not renting it out.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Family and Friends
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
We, like Karennina where going to rent out when we bought our place, but also like Karennina we loved it too much to want other people in our little piece of heaven.  We have invited family out and they have fallen in love with the place too and we are happy for our children to use our house whenever they want to, and hope our new Grandaughter will also love the place when she is older.  We have made the decision to only keep the place for family, we don't want to start renting out to friends as we feel it is now our Turkish home.

Offline julesbob0303

Family and Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
Just as Karen says - We have family over whilst we are there, but we don't give the keys out to anyone else, if we can't go!   :o  

We're flying out for a month later this week, and have my sister in law and her husband coming to stay for a couple of weeks in the middle of our holiday.  They're great company and love the area too, so we're really looking forward to that.  On the other hand, our son and his lovely girlfriend came out with us a couple of years ago, and as much as we love them, I felt like a waitress for a fortnight, making their breakfast, clearing away behind them etc etc etc.  They stayed out most of the night, waking everyone on their noisy return!  It didn't feel like a holiday to us and was hard work.  (I'm so glad they no longer live with us - I think we've outgrown each other!   :-\ )

By not renting out the apartment, we can leave our clothes and bits and pieces without having to lock everything away or clear wardrobes/cupboards for someone else to use.

With friends, I have this worry (again like Karen) that they wont like the area or will moan that we're too far away from the front!  Just because we love Calis, we know it's not everyone's cup of tea!

We (like a lot of other people we've spoken to) suddenly acquired a lot of "friends" when we bought the apartment.  These "friends" show a lot of interest in Turkey, and it never takes them long to ask if we rent our house out!  We know they're usually looking for a very cheap, or free holiday!!   :o 8) :)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 22:59:47 PM »
we bought our place to rent out but decided not too and we thought of it as our home from home
friends and relatives are welcome if we are there
BUT NEVER AGAIN WITH THIS COUPLE AND THEIR DAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!
we asked them to book the taxi at 6.30 am and it turned up at 7am and then he stopped at a petrol station, then he moaned that the traffic would be bad into manchester.so i said if you had picked us up at the right time 6.30am we would no be in a queue ,he replied sorry love but she(carol) had booked us for 7am.i asked her why she had told me a lie and she said she had forgot the time. we all had a go at her,we could have had half an hour extra in bed ,i said we would only get 1hr in the airport lounge cause of her cock-up we went to duty free and they bought 1 btl of vodka and 1 btl of ameretto,we bought our normal 5 btls
we arrived at dalaman and had hired a car for £5OO,which worked out at £100 each, i had forgot my driving licence so steve,carol's husband dealt with the paperwork.
so far so good,arrived at our villa and unpacked, settled in went to kipa had a meal and went shopping
great few days, the guest were getting up at 11.30am and 12.30am we done our own thing breakfast and round the pool.this carried on for a week one day they got up at 11.30 am had something to eat then went back to bed at 2pm
we had hired a car to go sightseeing and to go to patara for 3 nights,the car was only used for shopping trips (what a bloody waste)we could have used a taxi,it would have been cheaper,then the £100 pounds each we had forked out for the car
then the patara trip was cancelled,steve came to me on the thursday and said we don't really want to go because we have everything here,i said whatever you want,your our guests.
really i could have done with the break, all i seemed to have done was cook,clean and tidy up after them. they would have their own lunch and just leave the plates for me to put in the dishwasher and to empty
a couple of evenings we went to zakkum and had a fish and chip meal and enjoyed the quiz night.
one night we went to kale park restuarant and rob said to carol sit in the back i need to show steve the way (as rob was not sure which way it was).when we got to the car she was in the front street and rob asked her to get out she said NO, rob replied how can i show steve the way in the dark from the back seat,she said my husband wants me next to him,he looked amazed at that remark)but after rob asking again she went to seat in the back ,and then screamed at rob (he was not fazed by her attack) but i said stop the car i am not going out with this,atmosphere,but steve carried on and than carol had another go at rob so i said,listen madam we have all paid for a share in this car,so why do you think you have priority,it then went all quiet
we arrived at kale park the meal and drinks were ordered and to break the ice rob asked if their orange juice was nice she did not reply,i asked are you talking to us and she replied YES but i will stab this f**kig bas**d (her husband steve)for not backing me up when he asked me to get in the front of the car, i was speakless
the meal was lovely thia carried on and we had some work done in the villa and they decided to go to patara and kas for the day ,on the way back they weht to fill up with petrol and asked for 15ytl the attendant put in 50ytl by mistake ,and they sat on the forecourt for 1 and half hrs for someone to come and sypthon off the petrol,would you be bothered
i asked then to change the bed sheets after 3days telling her there where fresh sheets in the drawers in their room and just put them in the wash ,2 days later i asked her again to change the sheets, they never changed the sheets until a forthnight later and by god did they smell when i put them in the washing machine
all 3 they never offered to help with any housework at all the fortnight they were their and i asked them on the last day to clean their own rooms and the bathroom they had used, she never done anything steve done it all and when i went up he asked is this too your liking your majesty(i did not know whether he was joking or not)
we went shopping one day without carole and rob,and their daughter who is 27 asked for a lilo after much consideration steve bought one and a couple of the poly rings for carol (as she cannot swim).when we got back she asked him how she was suppose to get the rings in the suitcase to take back home and i replied i will give you the 2ytl for them.she then told her husband off for spending her money!!!!she does not work
last day of packing they had only drank 5 inches of the vodka and came down to pack it up to take back to england,and the lilo.paul our neighbour was gobsmacked he could not believe how tight fisted they were
the whole fortnight they did not buy either of us one drink or offer to take us for a meal
as other guests have done
this hopefully is a one off.i/we have been over numerous time with other friends and had a great holiday
NEVER AGAIN

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 05:29:03 AM »
Gosh Puma I have just read your posting, sounds like my kind of  nightmare holiday (not that anyone I have taken have behaved like that!)what a shame for you and hubby though because that is your precious holiday spoilt.

Offline julesbob0303

Family and Friends
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »
What a nightmare Puma.  They really didn't want to make the most of their holiday (spending most of the day in bed!).  Our son and his girlfriend did the same, and we spent most of the day hanging around waiting for them to get up and get ready to go out.  They weren't tightfisted though, and always paid their way.

It's just so much easier doing our own thing when we go on holiday.  After all, despite it being a second home, it is still our holiday!!   :)

Offline Jenny1

Family and Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:45:40 PM »
I don't have a place in Calis, but I can sympathise with you all!
I am that used to going on hol on my own that when I went on a weekend away to York recently, I hated doing things what everyone else wanted to do? I felt like a lapdog following them around!
They wanted to spend their days in the pub, whereas I wanted to visit the Minster and have a nice lunch etc, it drove me mad!
Think i'm too used to going away on my own and love the way I don't decide what i'm going to do that day until I wake up, and then I more often than not change my mind before I get out of the door!
It would be my worst nightmare to have to entertain people for a week! :D

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Family and Friends
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 14:20:34 PM »
I am going on own tonight for just under two weeks before hubby comes out, he does not get as much leave as me as he is not lucky enough to work in education!I can honestly say I, like you said Jenny am looking forward to pleasing myself and not having to make plans or keep people happy, I thought about asking various friends to come and then thought no I do not want the hassle this hol of people pleasing!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf