Author Topic: agents charges for long term rental  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Gayle Taylor

• Newly Registered
agents charges for long term rental
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »
Does anyone know what an agent charges if you go through them to rent a property long term.  We have recently rented through an agent in Hisaronu and we have been charged £500 for this on a year's rental, we were not told we had to pay this when we agreed to rent the apartment and he has stuck this on top, is this normal? TIA.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: agents charges for long term rental
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »
There's no set rules for rentals, but the agents usually look to charge the equivalent of a months rent - this is paid by the tenant.  Like everything in Turkey, negotiation is the key and they will often try to charge three months but a bit of haggling will normally bring it down to the one.

You say £500...  at todays rate that is 1,930tl!  Are you paying in rent in GBP and how much?

JF 

Offline Gayle Taylor

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
we were told the rent was £3500 for the yearto be paid to the owner and we agreed to this, unfortunately we had to move out of the apartment due to damp problems and the owner reimbursed us money back for the amount of time we had left and it then came to light that the £500 we thought had gone to the owner had actually been taken by the agent, the owner wasnt happy about this either.  We then contacted the agent (who by the way is a personal friend of ours) and he said there was a £500 charge, but on our rental agreement it states "the agreed rental between both parties is £3500" - dodgy or what???

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
Name and shame the agent as he's quite obviously not your "friend", even though you've been led to believe that he is, or is it now was?

JF

Offline Gayle Taylor

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
I dont want to do that as I am really good friends with his wife, just wondered what the going rate was.  Thanks for your comments will be much wary in the future.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
We paid 600 commission, 600 deposit and 600 for one months rent in advance through Palmiye (3 bed penthouse duplex in Deliktas)
Is there a set maximum rent increase year on year (based on inflation ?)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »
in lira?

JF

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Of course - I live in Deliktas not Hisaronou !!!!

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
Same as Kevin, we rented our house in Çaliş through Palmiye and paid the equivelant of 3 months rent up front. I month as a "one off" agents fee, 1 month as security deposit to landlord and first months' rent.

We have recently renewed the contract on the same house, Palmiye drew up the new contract with no further charges. On the question of annual rent increases Kevin, it is written in our contract that the rent will increase by 10% each year, this seems to be the accepted thing here and with the state of the lira at the moment it's not too bad.

In the case of the OP £500 as an agents fee is rather OTT on an annual rent of £3,500.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
Will check my contract, but I thought that I read somewhere that rent increases were capped in some way ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf