Author Topic: Six Nations 2012  (Read 8997 times)

Offline maximumtom

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2012, 17:12:33 PM »
Well done England.  It is just as well that they held on otherwise Roland would be persona non grata in England as well as Wales. Surely the international board should think twice before putting him in charge of any more French matches.

Offline valleyboy

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2012, 17:20:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by maximumtom

Well done England.  It is just as well that they held on otherwise Roland would be persona non grata in England as well as Wales. Surely the international board should think twice before putting him in charge of any more French matches.

.................or any more matches period !!! ;) :)

Offline Eric

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2012, 18:16:29 PM »

.................or any more matches period !!! ;) :)
[/quote]

Too right;  

French player penalised for deliberate knock on = Penalty
English player penalised for deliberate knock on = Penalty and yellow card!!!!!  How does that work?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Six Nations 2012
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2012, 19:30:07 PM »
Well, mixed sort of weekend. First, by popular report, Wales played badly - but still beat Italy by long way with the Italians never really looking like scoring more than a penalty. The Scots continued to produce interesting, fluent stuff until it comes to the crunch of actually winning a game. And then, what were France doing? Didn't look interested in winning the game until the last ten minutes. But, despite this, England's performance was still good.

Something is getting me all wound up - and it ain't Irish/French referees. It is scrums. Was there one legal scrum in the Ireland-Scotland game? And that was merely the worst of the three. I don't often see my (former) rugby playing friends now - being condemned to soccer supporting converstion. So I guess you lot are in better in touch with converstions than I am. But here are some thoughts.

Do they get former international front row players to teach refs what happens in the scrum and how to spot it? What is wrong with bringing the blindside touch judge into the field to see what happens out of sight of the ref until the ball is safely towards the back row? Why can't refs insist that the ball is at least entered into the tunnel between the the front rows instead of being slung towards the feet of the No 8? Why is the ball allowed to be a foot and half out of the back of the scrum, except for the little inconvenience that one of the No 8's legs is dragging out at full extention beyond the ball, allowing the scrum half an age to contemplate the infinite, his karma, and, maybe, to whom the hell to pass the ball? And why, with all this obvious cheating going on, do the bloody scrums last so long, are reset, last longer, are reset, and then ...... until you start to lose the will to live?

Perhaps I should have posted in the Grumpy Old Men section.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 19:35:36 PM by Colwyn »

Offline valleyboy

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2012, 15:09:34 PM »
I agree with all that Colwyn, the scrummage must be looked at !, the time spent crouching, touching, pausing and engaging - referees being over analytical about front row warfare tactics - the ball being fed almost to the feet of the No 8, all contribute to frustration for players and spectators alike. BBC Wales have just run a Scrum V classic games series on the "box" and I watched England v Wales I think it was circa 1979 'ish, it was quite refreshing to watch the no nonsense approach to the scrum; scrum awarded, packs form and pack down quickly, ball put in (down the centre of the channel) by scrum half, ball challenged for by Hookers (hence the name), job done, get on with it !.

Another point using the Wales v Italy as a reference, yes Wales didn't play to their full potential (again), yes Italy defended very well and with much courage, but the game was flattened by, in my humble opinion, some very pedantic refereeing decisions, George Clancy did his best to stall play whenever he could and stop the flow and momentum of the game ( this is not an anti Irish referee, sour grapes sort of comment), he just seemed to penalise the team that showed the initiative and intent to play, which I thought the IRB were trying to promote to encourage free flowing games.

The laws need to be interpreted better, ego's (referee's) should be left in the dressing rooms and the referee's should be using their skill and judgement to enhance the  spectacle that some of these meetings have the potential to become !!. What they must realise that people are paying about £60 to watch this, plus millions of television viewers need to be entertained and thrilled, the referee's have a responsibility to help achieve this.

Another niggle I have (while I'm on a roll !), is that I hope the minor "theatricals", I see creeping in to the game, (I must admit mostly by our "Continental brethren"), doesn't start getting more prolific e.g. Bergamasco's reaction to Halfpenny's challenge on Parisse, which in my opinion was just barely a penalty and definitely not a yellow, I think is aimed at influencing the referee's decision, or is that the cynic in me ?, anyway the point I'm trying to make is I hope Rugby Union doesn't sink to the amdram realms of soccer !! ;):-\

Any way book me a seat in the grumpy old men's section (well middle aged men any way), onward and upward, I hope next week end brings us the delights of a Grand Slam, but more importantly some good quality skilful Rugby Football !!. Good Luck to all Nations, let the beer flow and let battle commence !!  ;):D:D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 16:48:56 PM by valleyboy »

Offline maximumtom

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2012, 16:06:30 PM »
I agree with everything Colwyn and Valleyboy have said.  Because the infringements in the scrum are usually technical and depend upon whom the ref is actually looking at, I would like to see a free kick given rather than a penalty; too many matches are won by penalties with only the ref knowing why he gave one.

Offline PKHUGHES100

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2012, 19:56:31 PM »
I am getting nervous, come on boys, the grand slam is there for the taking!

Cymru am Byth

Kevin

Offline valleyboy

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
Let's do it for Merv the Swerve Boys !! :):D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:13:34 AM by valleyboy »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Six Nations 2012
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2012, 15:41:46 PM »
Well I have my largest pot (a Dutch oven) on the stove and it is full to the brim with cawl. It will sit in the fridge overnight to mature, and throw off its fat, and it will ready for tomorrow evening as celebration (GS), semi-celebration (chamionship), or comisseration (unimaginable).

Offline valleyboy

Six Nations 2012
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »
Getting very excited and a little apprehensive at the moment !

HWYL FAWR ! POB LWC IAWN I GYMRU !!- Good luck Wales, and yes I am shouting  ;):D:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf