Author Topic: The Haka  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The Haka
« on: November 08, 2014, 23:05:10 PM »
I believe that the response of the Twickenham crowd to the Haka was a disgrace.

What you should have done is respect it and then respond on the pitch by beating the opposition.

But of course you couldn't

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: The Haka
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:09:49 AM »
I should imagine that a fair number of those at Twickers would have been Telegraph readers. Perhaps they were responding to Daniel Schofield's piece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/newzealand/11214143/Revealed-How-New-Zealand-nearly-ditched-the-haka.html

Offline Lotty

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
The Haka is meant to intimidate the opponent and inspire the All Blacks to victory. It frustrates the crowds and their only response to that yesterday was to retaliate by drowning it out with their own rugby anthem. I love both of them, but respectfully they should have waited till the Haka was over first. Professional players should either just ignore it or use it for motivation. Great to see Scotland and Ireland winning.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
I didn't see the England game as I was watching Wales going down to Australia - again. I am in two minds about the haks. On the one hand it is a worthy legacy of a ancient culture. On the other it may be an artificially created intimidation of an opposition who are required to stand still as an audience. I thought the best response was by the French team who formed an arrowhead formation and marched slowly towards the haka stopping at the halfway line. I think the French were fined for this invention and berated for being "unrespectful". Such a "cultural legacy" approach leaves the opposition without choice but to stand and "honour" the tradition. But the haka was not always a fiercely confrontational war dance; that has been manufactured relatively recently. This video from 1973 shows an old haka which was about as intimidating as morris dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
Colwyn - am I correct in thinking that Haka was shortly before one of the greatest moments in sporting history.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
Indeed it was H. Known to all rugby union fans as "That try". No further explanation required.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
And wonderfully described by Cliff Morgan  :).

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
The current Haka has been specially written and choreographed in the last few years for the All Blacks, so it's hardly a "cultural legacy".

I'm more impressed by this NZDF haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiuPb50E1vg

Offline jondo

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
Of course you’re right Highlander. I was there and sat silent (ish!) while the Haka was drowned out. It would have more been appropriate for the Swing low singing to start straight after the Haka. The Twickenham staff could have influenced this through the TV monitors, the programme, and even pleas from the stewards scattered about because it’s not a new phenomenon.

However, just for the sake of fair balance – if you’ve seen any Super 15 games played in NZ you will have noticed that the crowds jeer at any kick at goal. At least the England supporters haven’t succumbed to this yet (well certainly not the vast majority).

Still, respect is due to the ABs for winning the game despite all......damn them! ;-)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 13:33:53 PM »
I think the England players should perform a morris dance in response.
Would scare them sh*tless !!!    ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf