Author Topic: Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
If you drive into Turkey from Greece the border officials want to see all you vehicle documents including a GREEN card.Some insurance companies in England say this is not needed for Turkey, ignore them it is when you arrive at the border. They also want the chassis number of your car.
We drove from Cannakle along the coast and it was a very pleasant ride. There was a little car ferry which brings you across from either Gelibolu or Kilibahir to Cannakle (Burgher King is also here!).It was a sunny day and the crossing was very pleasant, only about half an hour.We just drove straight to the port and bought a ticket.The D550 takes you along the coast road past Truva (Troy).There is a modern shopping centre at Akcoy (Waikiki,Koton,Benetton,Billabong). There are a lot of outlet shops here and La Tazze coffe or
Burgher King is you do not want a Turkish restaurant.
Once you reach Izmir keep to the left hand lanes and head Bornova then Aydin on the motorway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:55:16 AM by Daffodil »

Offline starman™

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:39:04 AM »
You can purchase a green card at the border though and pretty inexpensive

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
The motorway toll from Izmir to Aydin cost 2.75 lira.  :)

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 13:40:22 PM »
Spoke to a British person who had to buy green card at border and it was 95 euros.

Offline starman™

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 14:34:56 PM »
bit of an increase since I did it. Was 30 lira for 3 months. Then again that was in 2002

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 15:27:44 PM »
I suppose that it increases with inflation. We had brought a green card with us which the insurance company gave us for free. They did say we would not need it but it was the first thing we were asked for on entering Turkey as well as the chassis number of the car and documents.

We had trouble when we entered Greece at Igoumenitsa getting on the the motorway as they had put a huge lump of concrete across the motorway (built with European money)and sent us up a diversion across winding mountain roads until we eventually found the motorway.I wondered how the lorry drivers managed to get up there.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 16:01:09 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Firo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 17:01:37 PM »
Gosh how things have changed as when we came off the ferry in April the motorway starts right at the ferry terminal exit. There was only about 50mts of motorway not finished and that was about 2 hours further on from Igoumenista.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 17:11:58 PM »
We could see the motorway but there was a lump of concrete blocking it. I thought maybe we had taken a wrong turning but we met some other people in Ovacik who had also just returned and they also had been in the same situation climbing over mountain roads.We will check it out on our return! :)

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 14:28:27 PM »
Hi ,very interested as I plan to bring a brit car here later this year.Sorry but I dont understand why they want the chassis number.If you give them the vehicle docs its on the V55? May I ask exactly what they ask for and what they do with it.I am particularly interested in what is stamped in ones passport.Thank you J

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 15:15:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by captainjon

Sorry but I dont understand why they want the chassis number.If you give them the vehicle docs its on the V55?

Is it a big problem to give them the chassis number? :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf