Author Topic: Dishes local to the area  (Read 4434 times)

Offline emekliyim

Dishes local to the area
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
I know there are restaurants with regional specialities, but I wonder if anyone can tell me what dishes are special to Muğla province?

Offline scorcher

Re: Dishes local to the area
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 14:51:19 PM »
74 reads and not even a hint of the famous regional Calis speciality - the "Full English All-Day" cracker....

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 15:11:27 PM »
There are many many foods local to Mugla County, not all are available in the restaurants the following is a sample of the foods Of Mugla the town. Information is available for these and all foods local to the the towns and villages of Mugla county in the MUGLA information Guide available at the TI office in Fethiye.

Over the years we have had great fun trying to find the foods as we travel around this very interesting County made easy and more interesting with the MUGLA book.

Mugla Foods

Tarhana ( Tomato Soup) Dutmec (Mulberry Soup
Copur ( Bream Fish) Et Terbiyelisi (Dressed Meat) Dos Dolmasi (Stuffed Meat) Buryan Speciality Cooked Meat Baliklen (Fish)
Cintar Kavurmasi (Sauté)  Ot Eksilemesi (sour mixed green vegetables) Galli Petlicani (Dressed Aubergine) Ebegumeci Kavurmasi (Sauté Mallow) Borulce Kavurmasi (Bean sauté) Teltolu Borulce (mixed Veg)

Yes! Not forgetting the three top foods of CBF   1/ Full English, 2 Fish and Chips and  3 Iskender     :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 21:32:22 PM by ovacik2 »

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 15:41:52 PM »
MILAS
                        a Town to spend time in and around  and has lots of  local Foods.

Taken from Mugla Guide.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 16:20:23 PM »
I visited Mugla University and was hosted by the young Administrator for the Dept.of International Relations. She took me to lunch in the staff and student refectory. The dish of the day was meatloaf - which I have never come across in any restaurant. I took the opportunity of taking local advice on a good restaurant in which to eat in the town of Mugla and noted down its name and location. A week later we visited it. It turned out to be an Istanbul-style fast food place. Very popular hangout for the young professional crowd it seems. So much for authentic Mugla cuisine! Doh!

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 16:38:26 PM »
Colwyn! we know of many old and delicious Cumbrian Dishes, unfortunately we can only find Asian, French, Turkish, Burger or Fish and Chip Restaurants and the "local" foods don't taste the same in those somehow!   Unfair? Maybe a few local spots then.   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 16:49:13 PM »
After you have been to Turkey a week or so the ubiquitous "with rice, chips an salad" in tourist restaurants becomes rather tedious. However, I notice that even in predominantly Turkish places this is standard fare. I asked the owner of a set of apartments who I had known for some time, a born and bred Mugla man, why this was so. He said that when they go out Turks like to eat something different from what they have at home - sounds plausible. So I asked what they would eat at home. His favourite dish, made by his wife, was Cauliflower and Chickpea Casserole - don't see that in restaurants either.

Being a food-chaser perhaps you can answer another question for me. Since I see plenty of ducks and geese around the place why don't I see them on menus?

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 17:45:17 PM »
 Ducks and Geese are only available fresh in Turkey October to March and as in UK mainly eaten at home and around Festive times. Recipe here to try at home. Afiyet Olsun   :)

Tandir Duck with Hummus and Pomegranate
Ingredients:
1 whole duck
300 gr chickpeas
1 cup tahina
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp green pistachios
1/4 tsp cumin
juice of 1/4 lemon
1 pomegranate, cleaned
1 carrot
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic

For the Hummus:
Soak the chickpeas overnight. Rinse well and place in a pot with water to cover and cook until soft. Skim off the foam. When the chickpeas are cooked, remove the skins and whirl to a puree in a blender. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked chickpeas with the tahina, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper and olive oil to a runny consistency. Heat in a skillet and pour into a serving dish. Brown the nuts in butter and sprinkle over the hummus. Tear the duck meat into pieces and arrange over the hummus. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Pour the duck juice over the top and serve.

Preparation:
Clean the duck well. Then rub with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Add the finely chopped carrot, onion and garlic and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 170 C. for about 40 minutes. When baked, remove the meat from the bone.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 18:20:55 PM »
Thanks for that, I do like a tandir. I might have a little difficulty finding some of the ingredients (might get them in the local Pakistani SweetMart) but I'll certainly give it a go.

Offline Lotty

Dishes local to the area
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 20:40:31 PM »
Well, that would take time to remove all the skins of chick peas, if you are blitzing would that be necessary? Sounds delish though!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf