Author Topic: Kas, Ucagiz (Kekova)  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Kas, Ucagiz (Kekova)
« on: February 07, 2012, 19:11:43 PM »
Part 1 of this day trip is here: {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}45576

Monday part 2: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150529655071914.372303.741226913&type=1&l=794bb5f2a1

Leaving Kalkan we headed along the coast to Kas. The weather wasn't as hoped, wet in places & very windy so not as many pics & not as much walking away from the car as normal. Kas is a nice town, busy with a very expensive looking marina which is new in the last few years. Found some old ruins which was a pure fluke, we went through a "road closed" sign (cos I'm a stubborn git!) thinking I'll turn round when need be & there were the ruins, had I been a good boy I'd have done the u turn where told & not even known they were there  :)

Busy little harbour away from the "Gin Palace" marina with the ferry to Meis still in business, just! The town itself was very quiet, a few locals around as it was lunchtime, we found a little cay house for an omelette lunch which was needed to warm us up, the wind was bitterly cold. Check out the pics of Scunners new offices, just a lick of paint needed Guv, honestly!

Leaving Kas we headed towards Demre & Finnike. At this point we ran out of map, it ended at Kas & having done some research on Google the night before (but no printer!) I decided to hit the road & see where it led, oh boy am I glad I did! Spotted a little road off to the right so I took it & just wandered along admiring the views. Some small villages with lovely old houses, a dead end near a Coast Guard lookout then saw a sign for Ucagiz (Kekova). This was to be the revelation that makes these trips so worthwhile.

Ucagiz is the most beautiful small harbour town. Spotlessly clean the local council have done a superb job. Lots of nice boats mixed in with the local fishermen, no Kas snobbery here! Loads of nice little places to eat or drink & several pensions if you want to stay a while longer. Chatted to a couple (from Norfolk) in their UK registered motorhome, they were on their 2nd winter tour of the Turkish coastline, last year they stayed longer here than anywhere else & had already been parked up for 2 days without getting itchy feet. Also bumped into another Englishman after hearing his accent, he had a boat moored here for the winter & both him & his wife have adopted the town as their 2nd home, this says a lot about a place. Rock tombs, Roman fort remains & much much more here too, recommend a good 1/2 day or more to wander round, put a smile on my face as well as made Julies day.

At this point we were beginning to run out of daylight so decided to hop along the coast to Finnike missing out Demre, there's always next time...

Overnight in a hotel in Finnike which proved as much of an adventure as the journey, check this out here: {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}45578
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 19:35:02 PM by Supacabby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf