Author Topic: Dog healthcare - To spey or not to spey ?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Dog healthcare - To spey or not to spey ?
« on: May 26, 2014, 16:16:58 PM »
We are bringing our two Jack Russells out in October.
Max is 10 and has been neutered having fathered 31 pups with Harriet who
is also 10 and intact (and in season as we speak.)
We were planning on having her speyed before we depart :-
a) because of all the stray dogs in Calis (who we are assured are neutered ?)
b) because it would be better for her health in future years.
Advice/opinions please.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: Dog healthcare - To spey or not to spey ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 16:23:58 PM »
If it was a young bitch I would say have her spayed but at her age I wouldn't put her through an operation,  she will probably stop having seasons soon, and in any case its very unlikely that she is fertile enough to excite the street dogs. A general anaesthetic for a bitch of 10 years old would be quite risky, and I wouldn't have mine done unless totally necessary.  That is of course just my opinion.   :)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 17:12:55 PM »
 The tagged street dogs are neutered, there are still private dogs let loose to run free plus dumped dogs running around til they get caught and neutered, so no not all dogs on the street are neutered.
personally I would bring them out here and take them to a good vet and let him decide if the dogs are fit enough, it will also be a lot cheaper.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 17:59:15 PM »
When we moved out we brought a 2 year old and an 11 year old Springer Spaniel with us. We were going to have them both spayed before bringing them out for which our vet wanted £180 per dog. We decided against it firstly because of the cost and secondly, because we'd be away from civilisation and wouldn't have too much bother with other dogs.

However after living there for a few months we had the opportunity to gain a couple of boy dogs and decided to get the girls spayed. They were done at Kent Vets for the sum of 175 TL for the pair. I took them in in the afternoon and collected them in the evening. Neither of them suffered any ill effects and Kent Vets remained as our first choice for all animal related matters throughout our 6 years in Turkey.

Offline Eric

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 21:25:56 PM »
When we came out in 2007, we followed the DEFRA recommendations to the letter.  One of these was that our Standard Schnauzer (whose grandparents were Crufts champions) had to be neutered, so she was.  Arrived in turkey and the customs guy would not even look at the paperwork, just told us to get on our way. Not that we wanted to breed off her but she went through that op for nothing!!!!

Offline quackers

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 21:33:43 PM »
I would ask a vets advice in UK and then either pay for it to be done in Uk or wait till you get here. I would recommend spaying if you are not going to breed. Too many male dogs out here running around to risk unwanted pups. We have had both our street dogs spayed to keep the population down and for the dogs health. You know it makes sense.

Offline Eric

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 22:12:56 PM »
The vets advice will be what DEFRA say!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf