Author Topic: Random breath test  (Read 3390 times)

Offline cinders

Random breath test
« on: December 05, 2011, 14:45:11 PM »
We have been stopped in Karagozler on Sunday night 4th Dec by the traffic police and my hubby had to take a breathaliser. He did pass the test but seems police are doing random spot checks (including dolmus drivers). :o C

Offline hillside

Random breath test
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 15:57:14 PM »
We never drink and drive because the insurance on a hire vehicle is invalid if the driver has been drinking alcohol, but I know so many expats who drink copious amounts and then drive that I didnt think there was limit in Turkey - unless you had an accident of course........

Offline johnboy1967

Random breath test
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 16:48:43 PM »
There is, I believe its lower than UK, and if caught you can get a min. 3 years in jail...!

Offline corbindallas

Random breath test
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 17:02:29 PM »
First offence a fine, second offence a fine and 6 month ban, 3rd offence prison, so I have been informed from the local Jandarma.

Offline cinders

Random breath test
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 17:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the info Corbindallas & johnboy. I wonder how many people knew this, never seen anything relating to drink driving in Turkey. Thought it would be useful to let people know about spot checks :o C

Offline Julesp

Random breath test
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 18:07:45 PM »
Theyve been doing spot checks for years around by the tourist office  and also on the one way road going towards Pasa Kebap and again around near the old fire station. Like the Uk they are about more now as New Year coming up

The equivalent of 1 pint is the limit, my turk boyfriend Never drinks and drives because of this

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Random breath test
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 18:51:03 PM »
Spot checks are carried out all the time throughout Turkey. Unlike the UK, the Turkish Polis and Jandarma don't need reasonable cause, they just set-up roadblocks and get on with it.

I had a bit of a scare one night on the way back from Sivas. My mate Bill was driving my truck and we were pulled-up at a roadside check near Konya. The officer asked for our papers and the documents for the truck. He then said that I had to go with him to his car, where I was promptly breathalysed. Neither of us had had a drink in the past 24 hours but I always wonder what would have happened if I'd given a positive reading even though I wasn't the driver at the time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 18:51:59 PM by KKOB »

Offline cinders

Random breath test
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 19:25:20 PM »
KKOB ? why did they breathalise you if your mate was driving :o and I know this is Turkey BUT!!!!!!!!! agree and I too wonder what would have happened.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Random breath test
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 19:51:22 PM »
The funniest part was that there were 5 of us lined-up for the test and I was at the far end. They didn't change the mouthpiece of the breathalyser for any of us and by the time it got to me it a had a distinct taste of garlic, antep esme and nicotine. Lovely eh ?

Offline kizkucuk

Random breath test
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 21:32:26 PM »
There is a traffic website thinks it's something like www.trafik.gov.tr - it tells you about laws relating to using mobiles, wearing seatbelts and drink driving - the legal limit is very low - I would never risk even a glass of wine and drive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf