Author Topic: Optician  (Read 10165 times)

Offline GillieC

• Newly Registered
Optician
« on: September 28, 2015, 16:33:27 PM »
Hi
We are coming over for a week at the end of Oct ...and was wondering if there are any opticians .....beleive there was one on the road that leads to the water taxi? Are they any cheaper  than over in the uk. Thanks  8)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Optician
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 17:32:53 PM »
Depends on your prescription, basic prescription glasses are cheap, the more complicated ones can be comparable to the U.K. but you do get great choice and wonderful service and they really make them up quickly.
Bring your prescription with you as the Optician's do not test your eyes, you have to go elsewhere for that.
My husband got glasses from the Optician in the Main Street in Calis in June and the Optician took him to the Esnaf Hospital for an eye test.  Phil was pleased with his glasses.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 17:47:20 PM »
Frames are cheaper in the UK.  I wear varifocals. This summer in UK I bought 2 pairs one of which were sunglasses for under £70, last September in Turkey for the same I would not have seen much change from £400.  The excuse was, we only use designer, hello Turkey!!! Land of the genuine fake, even if they were genuine, I am not into designer.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 18:56:49 PM »
Frames are not expensive it is the varifocals glass that costs the money.  In the U.K. the frames always seem a bargain until they add on the cost of the glass.  Cheapest I have seen in my U.K. Opticians is £400.00 for a pair of varifocals in frames. 
Designer Frames in our Opticians are from £99.00 in the sale with one pair free.  Sounds good until they give you the total price.
The Designer frames in the shop in Calis are real.  I got some prescription varifocals.  I do, do designer.  :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 19:18:35 PM »
I am not into designer.

I've always wondered, if something isn't "designer", does tht mean it hasn't been designed ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 19:21:07 PM »
Yes it has, just not by a designer.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 20:19:32 PM »
Damn sodden android predictive text!!!!!
Jaqui, I buy my Vari vocals in the UK the lens I have in my current specs are vari focal elite, the total cost of the frames AND lens as I stated  not quite £70 and that included prescript sun glasses,  I too look for bargains.  I just love spec savers when they have offers. I also buy frames online and get the optician in the uk to put in lens, of course only when on offer.

Damn predictive text!!¡ I have had to do this again, various vocals. Sod it I give up!!!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 22:54:48 PM »
I have also bought designer frames online and had my prescriptions glass put in them, but the cost was round £400.00.  I admit I have nevered used spec-savers because I do not like their frames.
I use Duncan and Todd. The sunglasses I bought in Calis were £220.00 for varifocal and I thought that was cheap. I have never heard of varifocals being as cheap as £70.00 for frames and varifocals.  However, let me have the details, because, when I get back to the U.K. I have to pick up a new pair of glasses, so I will show you post the Optician.  Also right next door to Duncan and Todd is Specsavers.  I will check them out too, because if I can send for designer frames and get them to fit varifocals for £70.00 I think I buy quite a few more pairs. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 23:03:21 PM »
I wanted some spectacles in Turkey but when I went to the opticians the frames were really bulky and ugly. They also were very itchy when worn. Then I realised, I had mistakenly gone into the doughnut shop next door.

Offline lizdev

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »
Asda do them from £40 complete with lenses including varifocals.  I couldn't believe it as have always paid upwards of £300 so I checked with them.  A friend got them in June and says he would recommend them, so I'm going to try them next time

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf