Author Topic: Wilko Johnson - The Final Tour  (Read 1805 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Wilko Johnson - The Final Tour
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »
For those of you who may not of heard of Wilko Johnson, he was the guitarist in the great British R&B band Dr. Feelgood in the seventies.  A band that not only produced great music themselves - largely driven from Johnson's guitar -  but one that inspired others like the US and British Punk movement, and whole raft of other performers.  In Johnson's case many guitar players

So it was very very sad to hear on radio 4 this morning that Wilko has inoperable cancer and is not going to avail himself of chemo so that he can in his last 6-9 months go on a final tour.  Johnson spoke powerfully in the interview, of his love of life, music and how he was handling his imminent death for positive purposes.  This interview will be repeated this evening on BBC 4 radio on front row at 19:15 UK time, I can only urge you to listen to what the man says himself, even if you don't like his music listen to the music.

And here is Dr Feelgood in their pomp in 1975, with Wilko at his greatest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU6AJNgP_mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9JoNRiWo0

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Re: Wilko Johnson - The Final Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 13:10:54 PM »
Saw Feelgood at the Lewisham Odeon back in 1973 - they were fabulous live (and it was probably the loudest gig I've ever been to !!!!)
Wilko also did a fine spell with Ian Dury and the Blockheads, my favourite band of all time (RIP Ian - a master wordsmith) when Chas Jankel went off to do his own thing.

Offline valleyboy

Re: Wilko Johnson - The Final Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
Great shame; Great character; Great guitarist  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf