Author Topic: Water taxi fare now 7TL !!!!  (Read 15915 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Water taxi fare now 7TL !!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
I bought less last year Jacqui  :) Our 'local' put it up to 8ytl so I just drank less or not there at all.

I needed their wifi though ;-)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »
Come on Stoop it is your holiday, splash out and enjoy the holiday, no penny pinching...get those moths out of your wallet. ;D  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
TBH I did drink less and cost was an issue. Normally I just buy a crate or two but last year I bought it as I needed it. Having to get on my bike at least gave me some excersise  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
Turkish tourism businesses are fully aware that the Brits are now getting more Lira for their Pound.
So their logic is " they can afford more so we'll charge more ". While people keep paying they'll keep overcharging.   Don't pay more.!!!
I
         Walk away.
your probably right on the walk away advice. The only issue I have when the TL strengthened (2.40 to £ at one point) I didn't notice anyone saying the Brits cannot afford it at this price or exchange rate we'd better drop the price......greed never cuts two ways

This is a Fethiye phenomenon, and I suppose all areas where there is a significant (£ & €) tourist population during the summer season.  It doesn't happen in other areas of Turkey and it p1sses me off also. 

Over the years I've spent more time in Istanbul than Fethiye and I've noticed how the "cost factor" has shifted from Fethiye being considerably cheaper to eat/drink, to it now being almost the inverse.  Of course you can pay an arm and a leg for a beer and a mediocre bite to eat in Taksim or Sultanahmet, but in places like Mecidiyeköy (where I live when in Istanbul) everything from pide to beer is either similar or cheaper than Fethiye prices - gauging it by last summers prices when it was 3.5tl to 1gbp.

I was chatting to a boat owner I've known for about fifteen years about the price of his boat (expensive compared to previous years) and his response was exactly as Kevin stated "you can afford it so why bitch about it". 

If my old local next to the office bumped the prices because the lira had weakened they'd have no customers within 24hrs!.

Anyway, the average tourist will pay what is asked for - and thats what most folks tend to do when they are on holiday. 

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »
Anyway, the average tourist will pay what is asked for - and thats what most folks tend to do when they are on holiday. 
JF
When it comes to going somewhere for a lunchtime drink the things I consider are stuff like: where is the best view, where has a decent shade a little breeze, where are the comfortable easy chairs, where is friendly with good hospitality, where can I call over the front wall to the stuffed mussel seller to bring me a little snack to go with the beer, the place doesn't have loud music does it? It hardly ever crosses my mind about the price of Efes, and certainly not at 8TL/£2. If the usual price was 8TL but one place, same as the rest, charged 12TL it would cross my mind then.

I'm a bit worried about Stoop though. Perhaps Highlander could organize a whip round for the Save Stoop's Holiday Efes Fund?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »
Ha Ha Colwyn! I might need it this year :(

Three weeks in the States then three and a half in Turkey! All booked before I was made redundant  :'(

Good job I've been 'promoting' Sensatori and giving the first timers tips on where to go in the area - I've been promised some beers over the 'wall' ;-) Just hope I can catch them   :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
JF
When it comes to going somewhere for a lunchtime drink the things I consider are stuff like: where is the best view, where has a decent shade a little breeze, where are the comfortable easy chairs, where is friendly with good hospitality, where can I call over the front wall to the stuffed mussel seller to bring me a little snack to go with the beer, the place doesn't have loud music does it? It hardly ever crosses my mind about the price of Efes, and certainly not at 8TL/£2. If the usual price was 8TL but one place, same as the rest, charged 12TL it would cross my mind then.

I'm a bit worried about Stoop though. Perhaps Highlander could organize a whip round for the Save Stoop's Holiday Efes Fund?

Totally agree with you Colwyn, we never think of saving money on Holiday and I bet if I asked Phil he would not have the first idea how much Efes was.  He, like me, just wants to chill out and enjoy...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2015, 13:54:51 PM »
I paid 20 at Sat once - never again!

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 18:23:15 PM »
Many businesses in Fethiye (and this is general, not about the water taxi) pay their rent in pounds so they have to increase their prices in order to survive.
Turkish government is "inventing" nex taxes and costs all the time as well.
We pay insurance for our staff and now we have to pay tax over that insurance, more than 1000 TL. It feels like being punished for doing the right thing.
P.S. We also have to pay tax over the rent that we pay.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 18:55:28 PM »
Dutchie
I note what you say but please tell me how that relates to "Yabanci " pricing.?
It disgusts me to watch a Turkish person in front of me buying an item and
being charged X amount, then I attempt to buy the same item and get charged
far more. Why should I pay more.? I always tell them where to put it. It's theft.
I asked the Turkish Consul in London if he and his staff were charged more for
their shopping in London than English people. That was a few years ago and i'm
still waiting for his reply.
Jacqui.
If you want to be carefree with your money on holiday fine, but I wont be knowingly
be ripped off by anyone. I'm not mean but i'm not daft either.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf