Author Topic: Stunning  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Stunning
« on: July 06, 2013, 14:51:16 PM »

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 - 41

Offline scorcher

Re: Stunning
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 16:51:01 PM »
Agreed !

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 17:03:41 PM »
Cracking match

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 18:45:04 PM »
An awesome performance even more so given that the Aussies had got it back to 16-19 !

Offline Lotty

Stunning
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 20:45:52 PM »
So agree, I was watching through my fingers! Why does it always exhaust me? I always cry. . . So emotional and quite rare lol!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 16:24:29 PM »
Wonderful victory after a great game. A match in three acts showing off different facets of our game.

I looked up the report on the BBC website. I then made the mistake of scrolling down to see what the comments were like. I could hardly believe the amount of vicious bile that spewed out from many of the posts. I don't know whether any of the people who write this stuff are rugby fans. It made me suppose [what I often suppose about some "football fans"] that these people don't actually like sport; what they like is the opportunity to hate "the other lot". In this case "the other lot" was "taffies" or "Celts" and, especially Warren Gatland. And that was after the Lions had demolished the Wallabies! One idiot complained it wasn't fair since it was four countries against one; another that the Lions played an American - Corbisiero emigrated to the UK with his patents when he was four. Fortunately all of these got negative ratings from other readers and many were simply happy to celebrate the moment leaving critical appraisal till later. It was also good to hear a series of previous Lions greats sayin "When you are on tour you are not English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish. You are a Lion!". Obviously the best "gentleman's club" in the world!

P.S. Non of the people to whom I have referred above were Aussies. One or two of these tried to belittle the win but most said "Well done. Better team. Wait till next time though!" which is bang-on right.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 16:55:23 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Lotty

Stunning
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 16:49:47 PM »
Hear hear!!

Offline jondo

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
I'm with you Colwyn. In terms of Corbisiero: As someone brought up in East Africa I sometimes get comments that I'm not a true Brit. (Scottish dad, English mother - how not?!). A black friend of mine, from Uganda, came to UK for his education aged 11 (40 years ago) and has resisted the natural urges to go back to Uganda (he has the highest Ugandan pedigree possible without actually being Royally connected) - and I consider him more British than me!

So those that question nationality need to research their family trees back a few hundred years: I think quite a few of them would get quite a surprise!

The uniqueness of the Lions is that it merges our 4 nationalities into one cohesive entity - I'm pretty certain that the Kiwis and the Aussies wouldn't merge as one touring entity even though there is as little difference between them as there is between the English and the Scots/Welsh/Irish and every combination of these!

As to the game: very satisfying on many levels and especially that all 4 countries were represented. And  Gatllands  task was immense - don't we consider him an honorary Brit anyway!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 13:16:02 PM »
And a sensible referee from the northern hemisphere !

Offline jondo

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »
Exactly Scorcher!  Except you're being far too kind in suggesting that either of the previous 2 were even Referees!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf