Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 79517 times)

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
Re: Brexit
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
One for the immigration fanatics: You say we can't control EU immigration, but you must accept that we can control non-EU immigration.

So why was non-EU net immigration up by 76,000 last year to 248,000?

Net EU immigration, by comparison, was 74,000.

In your race to stop Freedom of Movement to the UK, are you just as keen to stop your own Freedom of Movement to 31 other countries?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but the reason some of the leave voters want to control freedom of movement is because it allows low skilled workers to come here from the EU when they aren't really needed.

It also prejudices people from other countries who do not have the same rights.

I'm all for people coming here to work and contribute to society but I see no just reason why workers from inside the EU should be treated differently to those outside.

Maybe a few facts might help. Like:

'Of those who have come to work from the EU in the last ten years, around 80% would not have qualified for a highly-skilled work permit. The Migration Advisory Committee confirms that low skilled migration adds little or nothing to GDP per capita or productivity (See 2016 report here). It can also have a negative impact on wages, in particular in the semi and unskilled services sector. If net migration from the EU is to be reduced, migration into lower-skilled work will have to be controlled.'

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/what-can-be-done

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #302 on: December 02, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »
Not really needed, Stoop!
Try telling that to farmers who rely on EU workers to harvest their crops, which would rot in the fields otherwise.  Try telling that to hoteliers who rely on EU workers to clean and wait on in their hotels, or the working women who have EU au pairs. 
Most of the benefits paid out in this country (barring pensions) are so called in-work benefits, ie working tax credits and housing benefit paid to low wage workers.  This, essentially means that we taxpayers are subsidising low pay employers and landlords.
As for forcing down wages, we do have minimum wage legislation, and employers can be heavily fined for not adhering to these laws.
We visit Spain in the winter, and you’d be amazed how many Brits are employed in bars, restaurants and hotels.  It works both ways.
Non EU immigration is another kettle of fish entirely, which governments of all stripes have failed to address - apart from the truly appalling Windrush scandal.

Offline madmart

« Reply #303 on: December 02, 2018, 21:54:30 PM »
If I may add my view on the wages front.

We were outsourced 11 years ago,  over the years I have heard from directors of the company 'we could employ 2 or 3 Eastern Europeans for what you are being paid'. The company would still be paying over the minimum wage. Therefore the HMRC will not be interested under the minimum wage legislation.

My question is mainly; How many more outsource companies have privately been saying the same? As a result of attitudes like that is it any wonder people voted against.

Before you ask i did lodge a complaint of racism and discrimination on the back of those comments.

Offline LindseyMitchell

• Newly Registered
« Reply #304 on: December 03, 2018, 05:49:03 AM »
The same thing happened to my husband, madmart, when he retired from Lloyd’s Bank;  his job in now being done in Bangalore, almost certainly by someone getting paid a lot less than he was.
Companies on the whole are concerned about their bottom line, as company bosses have their bonuses to think about, and the goodwill of their shareholders.
Thing is, the cost of living in Eastern Europe is almost certainly a lot less, so their workers, although they get paid a lot less than ours, can have a good standard of living on less.  It is not the case that British workers are greedy, just that living in the U.K. is expensive.
Try telling a Turk how much we pay in council tax, and for water, electricity and food;  I’ve done this, and they’ve been amazed.
I think that after Brexit, a lot of firms will be moving to Europe, not just because of wage costs, but because of tariffs and supply problems.

Offline villain

« Reply #305 on: December 04, 2018, 17:01:16 PM »
Parliament has taken back control.

Offline davybill

« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2018, 07:22:20 AM »
Control of what?

Offline villain

« Reply #307 on: December 05, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
A comtemptuous government.

Offline davybill

« Reply #308 on: December 05, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
Or a comtemptuous Eu.😉😎😎

Offline villain

« Reply #309 on: December 05, 2018, 16:49:48 PM »
The best deal available to the UK is remain. Who would disagree with me, and why?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf