Author Topic: X Box/ PS2's and Laptops  (Read 1617 times)

Offline LoubyLou

X Box/ PS2's and Laptops
« on: May 13, 2007, 18:00:51 PM »
Hi

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help!

When we furnish our house in Uzumlu, we want a TV for entertainment, but will not be getting Digiturk or Sky or anything until we are able to use the house for longer periods of time. So our intention is to bring an Xbox or PS2 over so we can watch DVD's and play games. I know that PS2's are fine because I have seen other posts, but what about Xbox's??

Also, our son is keen to get an internet connection on his laptop, but in the comforts of our own house instead of going somewhere with wireless. I think I'm right in saying that we cannot get a phone line connected unless we have residency (which we have no intention of doing for at least 4 years), but someone mentioned that you could route it via a mobile?? Can anyone advise?? As we also intend to get a couple of mobiles when we are out, if we need to look for a certain type, then it would be good to know!! (Sorry if this should be in the phone bit). Also, if this is an option, how much would the network charges be???

Any advice welcomed!!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 18:29:23 PM by LoubyLou »

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 19:05:11 PM »
Hi

XBox just connects same as in the UK - all you need is the standard XBox to scart connector. My neighbour in Deliktas uses his mobile phone as a connector to laptop. Runs a little slow - like a 28kb dial up - but fine to read emails (probably Messenger and MySpace in his case). If you are doing this - get a kit from your local uk Carphone warehouse or similar and they can explain how to do it. Then get your phone unlocked. When in Turkey get a Turkcell sim card (all you need is your passport) and then you are off and running.

Offline 30021190

X Box/ PS2's and Laptops
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 19:33:48 PM »
The NIL bar is meant to have wireless internet access, but not too sure

Offline LoubyLou

X Box/ PS2's and Laptops
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 19:58:09 PM »
Hi Happy Monday/30021190

Thanks for confirmation re. Xbox. I'll also check out kits in UK and see what they are about.

Yes - Nil have wireless access,as well as other bars in Calis but we are in Uzumlu and don't really want to go up and down each time to access!!! There is internet access up there in an internet cafe and one of the bars in the square (probably more if we looked), but it was just being able to get it at home aswell.

Thanks for your replies!!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
X Box/ PS2's and Laptops
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 05:27:19 AM »
It is possible to get a phoneline installed without residency.  It involves getting a Turkish person to get the phone installed in their name and subsequently transferring it when you do get residency. Our agent did this for us simply by putting it in the name of one of his employees.  Transferring is a simple process....Visit the Telekom offices in Fethiye with the person named for the phone, fill in the form, pay any outstanding bills and that is it.  Obviously the person will have to trust you to pay your phone Bills! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf