Author Topic: New rates from Turk Telekom due in August  (Read 2710 times)

Offline mavisim

New rates from Turk Telekom due in August
« on: July 22, 2007, 17:39:21 PM »
Zaman Newspaper today.

New rates from Türk Telekom spark lawsuit

Turk Telekom's new rates for fixed phone lines, which will come into effect in August, are causing fresh discussion within the telecommunications industry and anger outside of it.

Companies that offer telecommunication services independent from Türk Telekom are claiming that the new rates will give way to unfair competition against them and are preparing to file a lawsuit accordingly. Turkish Competitive Telco Operators Association (TELKODER) members say the prices for long distance and overseas calls and for calls to GSM operators, all of which are open to competition, are well below the European average.

However, when it comes to intracity calls, where Turk Telekom has a monopoly, its rates are very expensive.

Tanju Erkoc, board member of TELKODER, said the Telecommunications Board (TK) has to take steps immediately to open domestic calls to competition.

Meanwhile, analysts estimate that the new rate will saddle customers with an extra $665 million in costs in the upcoming 12 months. Erkoc believes Turk Telekom's pricing strategy will force several companies to close. "I estimate that Turk Telekom's revenues will increase by $170 million, with the retreat of some companies from the business." The fight between Turk Telekom and independent service providers goes back to March 1.

Turk Telekom had prepared a new price rate, decreasing the price of long-distance calls while increasing intracity rates.

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 11:16:53 AM »
I heard they are still on strike here my friend cant get connected up to the internet yet. Grr costing me a fortune in texts yapping!  There have been demonstrations.

Offline chewyturk

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 17:15:50 PM »
Yes, been waiting for phone/internet since august....fed-up sitting on the balcony, especially now it's cold!

Offline starman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 18:23:36 PM »
Turk Telekom will not negotiate because the HR director tried to cross the picket line on the way to work and got really badly beaten up. The unions paid the salaries out on the 15th which is the day we was hoping they would give up as we didnt expect the union to have enough funds. Now it looks like we have to wait again till the 15th of December to see if people will go back to work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf