Author Topic: Today at Christmas Market and Craft Fair  (Read 1709 times)

Offline tel

Today at Christmas Market and Craft Fair
« on: December 09, 2007, 16:38:29 PM »
Popped along to the Christmas Market and Craft Fair at Calis Beach today and although rain showers were falling, I must congratulate all involved in today's event.
Well done to all participants and to all the people who went along to join in and spend, spend, spend..LOL

Offline kevman

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 18:08:19 PM »
An excellent Xmas Fair.Thoroughly enjoyed it and there was some excellent goods to be had.Many thanks to whoever made the mincemeat. I have had great fun today doing the baking and being able to make mince pies. Yes the weather was a let down but it didn't seem to effect peoples spirits.Here's to next years fair!!!!

Offline George Warner

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 14:27:03 PM »
Well done to the organisers the crowds who turned up and the bars taking part real shame about the weather but the atmosphere was still great,must be one of the few times when more hot drinks than cold have been sold.Any idea yet what the total monies raised is.

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 21:39:04 PM »
The Carnival Committee would like to thank everyone who supported our Christmas Fair and Craft Market on Sunday.

Rather than write out all of the details, I have attached a copy of a press release sent to the local papers today which gives details of the the total amount raised on the committee stalls after expenditure (and I am sure the other stallholders did really well also  :)). It also gives an idea of the event for those who were unable to attend.

Christmas came early in Calis on Sunday 9 December when hundreds of families thronged the seafront to attend the first ever Calis Christmas Market and Craft Fair.

Despite heavy downpours of rain that threatened to spoil the day, the festive event which was organised by the Calis Carnival Committee, was a huge success and both stallholders and spectators are now asking for the fair to become an annual event in the Calis calendar.

From very early morning when the promenade was gaily festooned with red and green balloons outside all four of the participating restaurants, the Berk, Orient Express, Nil and Bambu, to late in the afternoon, the seafront was a mass of colourful activity.  Over 40 stallholders, Turkish, English and German, set up stall both under the restaurant awnings and inside the restaurants, selling a wide range of beautiful crafted items, Christmas decorations, cards, jewellery, cakes, photographs, dried flower arrangements and other goodies. Hot chestnuts and mulled wine were sold from a huge brazier outside the Orient Express along with mince pies and other festive fare and all four restaurants did a roaring trade in drinks and food as the happy crowds milled from one restaurant to another buying Christmas and New Year presents and enjoying the festive atmosphere. Christmas music could be heard everywhere and local singer Kenny, performed popular Christmas songs live to crowds in the Nil.

The highlight of the day for both children and adults alike was the arrival of Father Christmas and the Carnival's popular mascot Tommy Turtle the Carnival Caretta, in their tinsel decorated jeep-sleigh.  The  jolly (and by this time rather soggy) twosome distributed sweets to crowds of excited children who had been eagerly waiting their arrival. They then visited all four restaurants to meet the stallholders before Father Christmas took up residence in his "snow" covered grotto outside the Nil to greet local children and hand out presents.

One spectator commented " This is the most Christmassy I have felt since I moved to Turkey seven years ago, It has been a fabulous day"

Calis Carnival Chairman Peter Clark said, "It has been a great success, everyone really enjoyed it. I would like to thank the bars and restaurants for allowing us to use their premises, the committee for all their hard work, our supporters for the donated items for the committee stalls and everyone who attended in spite of the appalling weather.  I would really like to see the fair grow and become an annual event for Calis, bringing all of the communities of Calis together. We made over 1,500 lira profit from the committee stalls and stall fees and this will all go to the carnival charity, helping the deprived and disadvantaged children in the Calis area"

The Christmas Fair was one of a number of fundraising social events being organised by the Calis Carnival Committee in the run up to the first ever Calis Carnival on Saturday 7 June 2008.  The committee have already raised over 10,000 lira for the carnival charity from previous events since October 2007

Offline tel

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 07:52:53 AM »
Great Peter, well done to you, Chrissy and all involved.
I'm sure you have started something wonderful and very worthwhile.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:58:58 AM by tel »

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »
Thanks Tel.

You can now see loads of photos of the fair on our website "Other Fundraising" page

www.caliscarnival.com

Offline allan

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
Well done to every one involved in the running of this event. Hope it continues each year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf