Author Topic: TV Oline  (Read 2370 times)

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
TV Oline
« on: January 29, 2008, 23:59:38 PM »
Hi
I know this may be a silly question but i forgot to record Holby City on BBC 1 tonight so I watched it on my laptop this evening. Does this mean if I was in Calis and had the internet I could watch it over there?
If so what do I need to do to get the internet in my apartment without being a resident.
Thanks
Norma

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
TV Oline
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:56:12 AM »
If your laptop is Wifi equipped and IF (Unlikely) someone near you has an unsecured router you can piggy back on their system.  You can do it this way from several bars and restaurants in the area.
If you cant do this you will need a phone line to your apartment for which you will need to be a resident.  You can get round this (perhaps illegally) if you know a Turkish person who will apply for the phone line in their name for you.  There has to be 100% trust here as they would be responsible for any outstanding bills. :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
TV Oline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:37 AM »
And after all that, you wouldn't be able to watch Holby City or any other BBC programme. Not from the BBC anyway, you have to have a UK IP/connection to watch BBC/ITV/Sky channels, overseas connections are blocked. I have seen expensive packages where you can watch British TV on a PC with a broadband connection, but never heard much good about them - they are illegal, poor quality and unreliable.

Now if you had Sky+ in the UK, you were here and forgot to record it, you could send a text to the box telling it to record it for you so it's ready for you to watch when you get back to Englandshire.

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
TV Oline
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Thanks for your help.
TV I can do without over there I think, but I am not sure about the internet wish they would hurry up and change the law so I could get a phone line . I know I could go down to an internet cafe but not the same as having the internet at home. As I only plan to spend 6 months a year in Calis will not be applying for a resident permit.
Thanks for your help
Norma

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
TV Oline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
The other option is to get wireless installed on your complex, and divide the cost amongst other owners who would like it too. That way you can password protect it and only those who pay can use - and it would cost only a couple of quid a month each :D

You would still need a resident to arrange it with you though, as Tribalelder pointed out.

Offline vexaar

TV Oline
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 18:37:01 PM »
http://www.thebox.bz/

This site allows you to download UK tv programmes from abroad. It's a swap site so you need to upload as well.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
TV Oline
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »
Try this site www.imvite.com loads of world wide channels including sky news.....picture quality is not brilliant but it is watchable. :)

Offline chewyturk

TV Oline
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 15:02:18 PM »
Which sites do you view on in the uk - i'm sure you could visit them from here through a proxy server...?

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
TV Oline
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 21:41:52 PM »
This year i hope to be watching my own tv from my home in the uk via the net.

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
TV Oline
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 15:43:44 PM »
Has anybody tried a Slingbox in Turkey yet?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf