Author Topic: The Complexities of Tradesman Negotiations  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Complexities of Tradesman Negotiations
« on: February 22, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
We had a couple of painting jobs that needed doing sometime or other at Scunner Towers, and were told of a couple of Turkish guys who would not only do a good job, but were in some strife because the boss of their company had vanished, without paying their wages.

We decided that as the jobs had to be done we might as well get them done now, and do a good deed by helping these chaps at the same time.

Negotiations started as expected - at over double the price we were prepared to pay, slowly grinded back to around half of that but in that time we decided to do one of the jobs ourselves and let them do the other.

They did their job (and very well indeed) but hadn't forgotten the other work. On completion they came to me and told me that money was no problem, they would do the other job for nothing if we provided the paint.

After they had gone, we sat and discussed. I said there is no way you can let them work for nothing. Wouldn't hear of it. I told Steph to tell them they could have 300 YTL for doing it. You can't take advantage of people.

When they returned Steph told them we wouldn't let them do the job for nothing, it wasn't fair at all. When she said they could have 300 YTL for doing it, they discussed it in some detail between themselves, and informed her that it was impossible, but they would do it at a special price of 600 YTL for us.

So there you have it. They'd do it for 600, they'd do it for nothing, but they wouldn't do it for 300.

My brain hurts :D

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
trying it on comes to mind

Offline philrose

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
Reminds me of the haggling scene from "Life of Brian":D

Offline George Warner

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:25 AM »
If a man of your experience finds it hard to understand how can a "newie",Why not take advantage,this seems to be all part of the game.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »
I don't really find it hard to understand, I was amused by the irony of it all.

And that is the problem.

As part of this whole CBF thingy, I would love to be able to recommend people for different jobs when people ask on the forum. First problem is that if they do a shoddy job, it's my fault.

More importantly, even though I have good workers (and these guys did a really good job) it still isn't worth bothering recommending. In our case they start at a high price and we grind away until about half of that. Everyone is eventually happy enough with the price. So, say the original price was 2000 YTL and the agreed price down to 1000 YTL. I recommend them to others who have the same size of job. One pays 2000 YTL, the other is more canny and gets it down to 1000 YTL.

The next stage is that they meet each other, or post their experiences on CBF. For pretty much the same job, one paid 1000 YTL more. I can hear it now.

"...and where do you imagine the extra 1000 YTL went? In Scunners pocket".

That's life in Fethiye, and that is why I rarely recommend anyone.

Offline june

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:07:54 AM »
Can totally relate to that Keith, you want to do the right thing but other factors really make it impossible.

As you have said best to just say nothing

Its the tradesman that are doing themselves out of the work, if only they would understand......this subject is far further reaching as we all know as it happens in the shops and everywhere and the outcome is usually the same.

June:(

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
..bizarre i know but i can see some sense in this!
If they did the job for 'free' it constituted great advertising and a thank you for giving them the original work and hopefully recommendation to others.
If they did the job at below what they considered a reasonable rate they were setting a precedent and possibly feeling resentful
bearing in mind that they obviously took pride in their workmanship, a gift (free job) would leave them feeling they had done a good deed which would lead to more work.
I guess you could have tried letting them do the job for free and then 'tipped them' lol

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by hubblebubble

..bizarre i know but i can see some sense in this!
If they did the job for 'free' it constituted great advertising and a thank you for giving them the original work and hopefully recommendation to others.
If they did the job at below what they considered a reasonable rate they were setting a precedent and possibly feeling resentful
bearing in mind that they obviously took pride in their workmanship, a gift (free job) would leave them feeling they had done a good deed which would lead to more work.
I guess you could have tried letting them do the job for free and then 'tipped them' lol

:D 8) You're hired Sue  8):D ;)

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »
thanks!
but dare i ask what for...
must admit sometimes I think the most useful tool to take to Turkey would be a psychology course lol

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 13:05:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by hubblebubble

thanks!
but dare i ask what for...
must admit sometimes I think the most useful tool to take to Turkey would be a psychology course lol

:D Beating them at their own bartering game :D That's No Mean Feat [^] 8) ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf