Author Topic: flat caps and whippets  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
flat caps and whippets
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 17:50:18 PM »
and as a Cumbrian lad (lad being an age free term here), I do have a flat cap - same one for about thirty years now, and a couple of Lakeland Teriers, good ratters, but hopeless at catching birds of any type.

Offline Glenn66

flat caps and whippets
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn66

As a proud Lancastrian,I cannot honestly remember ever having worn a flat cap or a waistcoat.This is nothing short of regionalist-stereotyping and a disgrace!
Now I have got that off my chest,Im off down t'allotments with me ferrets n'wippets.

Glenn:D

What county do you come from Glenn? Surely ferrets and whippets along with flat caps and mufflers are the property of Yorkshire folk? Hands off our heritage and get yer own  :)

Hi JB,I know you lot from over t'other side want everything to yourselves,but attempting to pinch Flat-caps,waistcoats,wippets and ferrets for your own use is just mean!
If I may point you in the direction of a Historical document,the Goodies episode,ref. the ancient Lancastrian martial art of "Ecky-thump",you will plainly see that way back through the mists of time(well at least 1975),folks about here were wearing said couture.
I rest my case m'lord.

Offline baklavalover

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 15:46:31 PM »
Love it !!

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
flat caps and whippets
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 15:54:23 PM »
Anyone wishing to purchase the afore said attire, Grand Masters Cap, £35 in hat shop in Bridport, Dorset.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
flat caps and whippets
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 18:27:46 PM »

[/quote]
Hi JB,I know you lot from over t'other side want everything to yourselves,but attempting to pinch Flat-caps,waistcoats,wippets and ferrets for your own use is just mean!
If I may point you in the direction of a Historical document,the Goodies episode,ref. the ancient Lancastrian martial art of "Ecky-thump",you will plainly see that way back through the mists of time(well at least 1975),folks about here were wearing said couture.
I rest my case m'lord.

[/quote]

Ah... that would be the Oxbridge educated Graeme Garden,Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor Goodies then? Hmm, that makes it very authentic

:)

Offline Glenn66

flat caps and whippets
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 19:22:03 PM »
Dr Graeme Garden was a junior Doctor at Preston Royal Infirmary from the mid to late sixties.It was during this period that Graeme developed his penchant for Lancastrian styl-e clothing/culture/martial arts(note in particular his fashionable sideburns)

Glenn :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 19:23:29 PM by Glenn66 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf