Author Topic: Should I have paid full whack?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
Should I have paid full whack?
« on: August 17, 2008, 14:12:38 PM »
We have just come home, but I thought I should share our experience at the Actilim restaurant in Hisaronu.
There were five of us to start with when the head waiter called us in to wait for the other three in our party to arrive (8p.m.) Three of us asked for the specials from the boards outside (22oz T-bone with 2 eggs, Kleftico with rice & salad,and Madras curry) The boards outside also advertised Lamb Shank and All Day Sunday Lunch (on Monday?)
When the meals arrived 3/4 of an hour later, the under-waiter announced a "Lamb Shank" and when we said no-one had ordered it he changed the call to Kleftico (not the meal)
The girl who got the steak immediately saw the hair in the sauce & complained, the lady with "Kleftico" complained it was Lamb Shank & not as ordered - it came with Yorkshire pud & gravy (Sunday lunch? The underwaiter called the head waiter who said the chefs had short hair so she must have put it there, & Kleftico was the other leg from Lamb Shank then walked away to serve others.
We had waited long enough, the rest of us started to eat. When we complained again that the Yorkshire was not what we ordered & there were no eggs with the steak, the head waiter stormed over & shouted "Jesus Christ. Can't you see we're busy, why're you complaining?" then walked off ignoring us until the bill came. YTL104. After we'd been treated so rudely I paid for all the drinks & 3 out of 4 wrong meals, YTL85. We left.
As we hit the pavement Head waiter came flying out & accused us of taking his livelihood, running off without paying, & called the Jandarma to arrest me, talking to him in Turkish of course. I stood my ground and refused to go to the Jandarma office until I had an interpreter (I knew a couple of Turks who would speak fairly)
One of our partys' stepfather came, Ali, who told the headwaiter that she was his daughter, & headwaiters face dropped. He left the scene quickly, & the Jandarma melted into the crowd because he didn't want anything to do with it in the firstplace.
The man in the clothes shop next door paid the 20 lira for the sake of peace & harmony. I was cross with him for doing so, but repaid Him. I was trying to stand up on principle but had the ground taken from under me. There are good people as well as bad.
This is a potted version of events, but should I have paid al the bill for that insulting service?
P.S.I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant, but We'll never go to Actilim again and would like to warn other potential customers to watch what they order & what arrives.  We think the prices are over the top as well.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 14:22:08 PM »
I'd have done the same. How dare you complain, they were busy! Definitely one to avoid in Hisaronu.

I don't actually know the difference between lamb shank and Kleftico though - I sort of believed they were one and the same.

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 14:32:15 PM »
They were on separate "Special" boards at different prices. When we were in Greece, what was served was completely different and off the bone. That's what made us suspicious.

Offline Connor

• Prat in the hat
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 14:56:08 PM »
I've just looked at Foodgeeks.com for Kleftico. They say Boneless leg of Lamb. Which is definitely not Sunday Lunch (at a lower price on a separate board, or Lamb shank). The underwaiter couldn't tell what the meal was meant to be until prompted.
We did NOT order Sunday Lunch (Yorkshire pud & gravy instead of rice & salad) Hairy Steak (no eggs & mash when specificaly refused) and Chicken Korma (not Madras - that's what I ate)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 16:41:35 PM »
Connor, I agree 100% that you should not have paid the full bill. I love to tip good service in Turkey but I would not stand for the way you were treated in the Actilim. A place like that in Calis would not survive.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 18:07:23 PM »
 :)Not good at all, whereabout is it, I will make sure I dont go in there when we go up to Hison, you just dont need these headaches when your on holiday,and busy, is no excuse. ;)

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 20:02:38 PM »
I wouldn`t have paid for anything.

Offline fletch

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 22:36:52 PM »
There is no pleasing some customers!  ;):P

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 23:16:09 PM »
 :) Even bigger shysters to make YOU feel it was YOUR problem.:P

Offline Bim

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 19:10:50 PM »
Hi.. dont blame you at alll. Had a similar experience @ the Angels in Ovacik, leading into Hisaranou... we ordered of the boards outside from 1 waiter, we ordered drinks, he left. 5 mins later another waiter arrived asking for our order. We told him we have already ordered. He told us that we cannot order from the boards... we ordered again, while I was looking for a trad turkish, the waiter told me to hurry up as he is busy! . That was it for me.. I lost the plot.. paid for the drinks & left... while leaving I saw the owner, whom I recognised... we had words & he was not to happy with the idiot waiter. Went across the road to Four Seasons... fantanstic meal, with a bit of light humor entertainment. .... highly recommended (Went there for my birthday aswell )!
P.S if you seen Benidorm the series & like it... your love Angels... say no more...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf