Author Topic: Check List  (Read 10191 times)

Offline WalgraveChippy

Check List
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:32:26 AM »
Linda & Sam, We're just on the point of making the big leap.

In October last year we bought a 3.5 acre plot of land in Kaya Koyu ( known as the "Ghost Village" ) near Fethiye. The villa has been built and has been ready for us since 1st July. We've had a number of legal problems with our sale over here, which I won't bore you with, but we should be permanently living in Turkey in a few weeks time.

I'm driving down there in a truck with most of our possessions and my partner Jennie,and her son are flying over with our 2 dogs ( Springer spaniels, 2 & 7 years old ). If you're bringing pets of any kind get your information from DEFRA. The number will be in the phone book or you can look at www.defra.gov.uk Be warned!!! Whichever way you bring pets, it's expensive!! You've got to budget for vacinations, health checks, certificates, legalisation of certificates ( which has to be done at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office AND Turkish Consulate in London no more than 96 hours before export ). Officially you can only bring 1 dog or cat per passport holder!

I've got a copy of a Turkish Customs document that I can email you if you want. It may help you understand some of the tariffs for importing personal possessions. Have you had a quote from anybody for transporting you goods from the UK to Turkey?? Make sure you're sitting down when you get one !!

Offline tintin

Check List
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 10:51:11 AM »
Hi Walgrave would you mind e-mailing me a copy of the Turkish Customs document, as we are also going to be making the move with 2 dogs and some personal possessions, quite a few of hubby's tools to be included.

Can I also ask how big is the truck you're driving down with, as we are toying with the idea of doing the same rather than ship over possessions, simply because we aren't going to be taking that much stuff!  Is the truck yours, or have you arranged a hire truck?

I would appreciate any help on these.

Tina

Offline june

Check List
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
Hi Alan

Please could you e mail me the Turkish Customs document also I would be very grateful, as well as this can you tell me everything you know about taking animals over. I have actually been on the Delfra website and printed off all of the fact sheets they show, but who did you use to fly your dogs over as I e mailed a company called passportsforpets.co.uk and asked for a quote and they e mailed back to say that the only airline that operates a route to Dalaman is Turkish Airlines....is this who you are going with, they also said that animals are only allowed to travel as excess baggage with the,!, which I don't like the sound of. Is Jennie and her son having to fly via Istanbul with the dogs as Teresa posted a reply recently to say that from July 2004 all animals have to go this route now?.
Also I had heard that it was one animal per passport holder, presumably this is why Jennies son is flying with her?, we have 4 cats so I though if Stu and I flew along with my 2 sons (both passport holders) we could get around that even though they will not be stopping permanently?. How expensive is it?

Stu and I are very interested in buying a plot of land and having a villa built so we are very envious of you also for making the big leap, but we are sure you are doing the right thing and hope to be living over there in Calis by this time next year, I have already gots lots of info etc but any good advice you have would be invaluable Alan.  We have a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Calis which we would rent out when we go and live there,so if you could let me have as much info also on buying land and building a villa as you have done it that also would be a great help as this is what we would love to do and it always help when someone knows the ropes.

We have pondered bringing our own possessions over and not decided entirely, but give me an idea.....I am sitting down!!!

Thanks for being so helpful Alan and you have definately made the right decision, I mean what is there here to stay for??.  I hope your drive down is not to traumatic and I am sure you will settle down well...good luck.... Stu and I will be over on 27/8/04 and 1/10/04 both for 7 days maybe we will see you?....As soon as you get your telephone line up and running be sure to let me know how you are.

Sorry to rabble on a bit.....
Best wishes.

JuneX

Offline sammyjorush

Check List
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 14:47:38 PM »
Thanx Walgravechippy:D

Yes please email me anything you have thats helpfull I appreciate all the help I can get.....

Also well done you and Jennie making that leap....fantasic...all the best with the move...what a great location...I love the ghost village...When I was in Calis last week I drove through the village every day and stopped twice for the BBQ place there its fantastic highly recommend any of you to try it.........

If any of you havent been please try...dont sit at a normal table ask for a private little hut take your shoes off before entering its just a mark of respect for their culture..I do it!!! then a waiter stays with you all the time and cooks there and then for you in front of you on a BBQ...its great the food is fantastic.....although I will move to Calis the ghost village will be my regular eating place....

Who knows chippy our paths will cross some time:D

I do hope the animals travel well, please let us know how the move goes......All the best

LOL Samantha 8)

Offline Linda1953

Check List
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 06:17:30 AM »
Thanks Chippy be very grateful if you could email me the document too and thanks for all your useful information, you and Jenny were very brave but you did it and that is what counts! I only have one cat. My friend Elaine who has dropped from my plans temporarily has 4 cats but no way can she take all of those herself. Also as I've mentioned I might be off to Saudi before I come to Turkey now I don't what I'm going to do with my cat if that happens I can't take her with me then.  

Linda

Offline WalgraveChippy

Check List
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 22:23:10 PM »
Well, today the wheels came off of our wagon!!

After making enquiries a few weeks ago, the hire company that I was getting the truck from today informed me that their insurers would not cover the truck for Turkey. Having spent most of the day on the phone to truck hire companies around the country I've had no success at all. Apparently, the insurance companies have decided that because of the "situation in Turkey?!?!?!?" they cannot provide cover.

I've spoken to a number of contacts in Turkey and a possible solution is to fly out there, pick up a truck, drive back to the UK and load up. The Turks don't seem to have any problem with allowing their hire vehicles to go to the UK even though there's been more terrorist action in the UK than Turkey! If it works, then I'll be looking at a rather lucrative business opportunity I should think!

For those of you that are interested in the costs involved here's how it's worked out.

To hire a 7.5 tonne truck (the biggest vehicle you can drive without an LGV licence) for 2 weeks is about £2,000 this includes insurance green card, breakdown cover and VAT.

Open return ticket (the return journey can be made at any time in a 12 month period - literally turn-up and go) Dover to Calais is £450 - £500 depending on time of year when bought. Eurotunnel cost is approx £100 dearer.

Fuel costs of about £600. It's 2,500 miles each way and steady driving will return 18mpg

Using 2 drivers the trip can be completed in 5 days. £60 / day for food and accomodation.

Customs costs - absolutely no idea!! Will have to see when we get to the border.

The dogs, Jennie and Matthew are flying out from Bristol with MyTravel to Dalaman. The dogs will be going into kennels near Bristol 6 days before flying. The kennels will take care of all certification and the necessary legalisation at the F&C Office amd Turkish Consulate. They have checked that there is no need for the dogs to go via Istanbul. They have a special relationship with MyTravel and although the dogs are treated as excess baggage they are very well looked after. They are delivered directly from the kennels to the plane and the captain handles their paperwork. Once the captain is handed the paperwork he/she adjusts the heating in the cargo hold to make it more comfortable for the animals. The cost including kenneling, certifacates,legalisation and flight - £450 / dog.

We were quoted between £2000 and £3000 for a 20ft container taking anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks. Thats collection from Northamptonshire and delivery to Izmir. Customs and delivery from Izmir to Fethiye would be extra.

Door to Door from Northants to Fethiye by a removal company was quoted at between £8,000 and £10,000.

I haven't put you off have I ?????  LOLOL

I'll let you know how things are going and what plan we're going for as things fall into place.

Offline june

Check List
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 10:09:58 AM »
Wow, that is a lot of info in one go Alan.

Thanks very much that has made it much clearer for me, I will contact MyTravel as they are obviously the ones that know what they are doing, Smudge also took his cats over with MyTravel lst year and he had no problem at all.

As for the truck, well I know it would be nice to take some of home with you, but at those costs I just wonder 'is it worth it' not to mention how it will effect you driving all that way?.
Household items and furniture in Turkey are so reasonable to buy anyway, but its personal taste I guess.

Anyway good luck whatever you decide, and grateful if you could e mail the customs document, and info on buying your plot of land and building the villa.

Best Wishes

June

Offline sammyjorush

Check List
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 00:36:49 AM »
thanx chippy:D

Alot of useful info there I have printed it off for future reference and is safe in my portfolio......:D

lol Samantha 8)

Offline sammyjorush

Check List
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2004, 12:39:40 PM »
Just been reading through my mountain of print outs I have in reference to "Check list"

A kind lady belonging to a group that have made the "move" to Istanbul..... recommended a book called   "Living in Turkey for newcomers"  Author Rhonda Vander Sluiss & Beryl Anderson...its a book designed for people who are planning to live in (Istanbul) for an extended time and want to make the possible adjustments......

The contents of the book ;

* Adjusting to another country
* Culture shock
* Language spoken - body
* Family & friends
* Staying healthy
* Bloom where you are planted
* Getting around
* Practical living skills
* Buying & selling a car

Maybe it will only be relevant for Istanbul, maybe not....I dont know

Ime just passing on this tip incase it is helpful.....:D

Happy reading....LOL Samantha

Offline janet.gur

• Bolton, UK
Check List
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2004, 23:25:06 PM »
Alan could you also e-mail a copy of the document to me.  Our friends are moving out to Turkey in a couple of months and although they have got lots of info from the Turkish Embassy I'm sure they will find this document useful.  They intend buying a people carrier and driving to Turkey with what possessions they are taking.  They are also taking their dog with them this way as he is too old to risk flying
Cheers  Janet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf