Author Topic: ATM  (Read 3466 times)

Offline peecee

ATM
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 05:16:20 AM »
Firo, I am sure most of us do go into Fethiye on a fairly regular basis to do our 'weekly shop'.  I certainly can't/don't buy all my provisions in the village simply because a lot of them aren't available.  The locals are never going to refuse to serve you because you haven't got enough cash on you so how will it improve the economy?
Hamilton, I would disagree with you.  there have been occasions, both here and in Fethiye, where the shopkeepers have trusted me enough to pay them later if I haven't got enough cash on me.  It is a cash society but 'problem yok, yarin' seems the 'norm'.
The comparison between UK and here was that the transport system here is far better than UK but the banks don't pop an ATM into every village there!  You will normally find ATM's in different districts in the UK towns.
Is this a case of not wanting to bother going to Fethiye or being disorganised?  The Turks aren't bothered about ATM's in the village, seem quite happy to have wads of money on them and don't particularly trust the banks anyway.
Surely, if you want to live in a rural society you have to accept the inconveniences?[?]

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
ATM
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »
I'm sure that any one of the banks in Fethiye would be happy to put an ATM in the village provided that users were happy to pay a fee each time they withdrew money to cover the costs of servicing the machine.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ATM
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
Or maybe a bank could put in an ATM for their customers, i.e. if Fortis put one in, only Fortis customers could use it - would be a good move to get more account holders in Uzumlu  :)

Offline friar tuck

ATM
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
Got to agree with hamilton on, the occasions I have been to the local shop and forgot my wallet it has always been problem yok yarin, I think the problem is we Brits are too ruddy lazy and like in the UK expect a convineance society, well you ain't going to get that in a Turkish village, if the "locals" want one then by all means back them up but to a certain degree it should be what they want and not what the expat community want.

:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
ATM
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:20 AM »
That's one of the things I love about Turkey Cliff - how many times I have gone out only to find the ATM's in Calis all not working, and to be told "problem yok", pay tomorrow. It doesn't work in Morrisons  :)

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 16:51:46 PM »
Firo I loved your line that having an ATM in the village would 'help the local economy hugely'!!!!! How exactly? If I had 10 TL or a 1,000TL in my back pocket I cannot imagine what I'd spend it on up here?! What shops there are do not cater for us Brits and even the cay house (where I used to go and spend my money) is effectively closed to foreigners now.

Offline Firo

ATM
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 14:19:31 PM »
If I go into Fethiye to get cash I also tend to do my shopping there. The implication that if there was a cash machine in the village then maybe we would do more of our shopping in the village.
I'm not talking about the weekly shop but daily items etc. If you are finding "para yok....Problem Yok" in the shops then all well and good.
Incidently the Baskan had already made enquiries to the banks before we met with him, so I guess that might mean the locals "are bothered" and want an ATM  :o
It's yet again being made into an "Expats want" thread which it cleary isn't.
Fi

Offline friar tuck

ATM
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 18:42:46 PM »
Firo I am not having a go at you and the expats have certainly bought a lot of money in to the village, but I am sure you like me and many others bought in Uzumlu because of it's Turkish "feel", you more than most have done a lot for all of US. I no doubt would use the ATM if was installed, I am not an expat yet still only a tourist so may be I have not judged the feeling amongst the locals correctly, but I think at the moment there is no real need for an ATM and perhaps the problems it could bring. I certainly did not intend it to be an expat situation.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
ATM
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 22:36:27 PM »
When the list of suggestions was shown to me and I spotted the ATM idea I was in two minds.  Certainly there have been times when it would have been handy.  But we live without it and its no big deal.  If one comes, so be it.  I don't now how others feel, maybe that's an indication that others aren't that bothered either.  I think most of us are happy to live with that lovely Turkish "feel"  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf