Author Topic: Kipa - Food Hygiene Alert  (Read 7359 times)

Offline simpsons

Kipa - Food Hygiene Alert
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 16:29:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by chewyturk

It's Turkey - you pay your money and take your chance!
Have you ever seen inside the kitchens of local restaurants here? - If you had, you'd probably eat at home more often!

Actually, in the UK you are quite within your legal rights to request to see the restaurant kitchen before you eat there. But as Michael Cain says "Not a lot of people know that".

Offline marina

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 16:36:37 PM »
Spot on Mercury.  Or maybe it's just that we're made of sterner stuff in Huddersfield!  ;)

Thankfully I have only ever had salmonella once and it was probably picked up in a large hotel in Ibiza as there were quite a few of us suffering. Never want it again either thank you very much. :(

Offline mrkeith

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 16:54:16 PM »
Most the kitchens here are there right in front your eyes

Offline lord berry

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 17:29:52 PM »
just a thought for you guys ,nobody mentioned the poor chicken ?[:o)][:o)]

Offline simpsons

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 17:53:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mrkeith

Most the kitchens here are there right in front your eyes

But you are not in there 24 hours to see what goes on behind the scenes. I think even you would be surprised if you gave the kitchen a thorough inspection and knew what to look for. What the layman sees as clean is not as the experts perceive

Offline mrkeith

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 18:04:28 PM »
Don't worry I have seen a few and the road side vans are good too.
I can remember watching men sweeping up the entrails of cattle in Istanbul to sell as Kocerec a few years back

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 18:38:16 PM »
Are you sure they weren't going to make Grits ? :D ;):D

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 19:05:26 PM »
I am amazed at the fact that after coming to Turkey for 17 years and living there for a few years I can honestly say that I have never had food poisoning. I have eaten food in the most primitive places,on boats,at roadside stalls and pastries off the ladies on the islands trips. It may be the fact that many foods are cooked at very high temperatures and it kills the germs.
I think the fact that cooked rice can be a factor in a lot of food  poisoning is sometimes overlooked.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
Last year we were in Hisoranu and havng a meal in the suntrap. Nice meal and then watched the staff doing a deep clean of the kitchen, our son a trainee chef at the time was really impressed to see the staff scrubbing tiles, cooker hood and work surfaces!

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

I am amazed at the fact that after coming to Turkey for 17 years and living there for a few years I can honestly say that I have never had food poisoning. I have eaten food in the most primitive places,on boats,at roadside stalls and pastries off the ladies on the islands trips. It may be the fact that many foods are cooked at very high temperatures and it kills the germs.
I think the fact that cooked rice can be a factor in a lot of food  poisoning is sometimes overlooked.

I had Solmenalla about 4 years ago, when the enviromental health came to ask what and where I had eaten, He said a lot of cases are from reheated rice, when people have a dicky tummy after a curry it is the rice and not the curry, always make sure if you reheat rice it is piping hot
Mark

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf