Author Topic: Tagine  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Robw

Tagine
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 15:59:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

lol Rob !!! the one meat that won't be going in is rabbit !!  I have had pet rabbits since a wee one and have never and will never eat rabbit !!! (irrational to some, but thats me...!)

Thanks any way  :)  Anyone got any chicken or lamb ones ? (yes I know lambs are cute  ;):D)

I had a pet rabbit when i was a kid and came home from school to see it hanging from the pantry door sneck :( We were skint and my dad said we needed to eat the rabbit! I went hungry that night but ive learned to love it since  :)

Some recipes here... http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moroccanlambtagine_6696

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Tagine
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 16:13:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Rabbit is most suitable as you can pull the ears up through the top :D

Scunner  that just ain't nice  ;)
Loz = I did see it, and thats what got my tast buds atingling, have to find those recipes.

thanks all - keep suggestions coming (no more sad bunny stories though eh ?! :()

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Tagine
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 16:18:00 PM »
My favourite tagine recipe comes from the New York Times.

Lamb Tagine With Honey, Almonds and Apricots (Mrouzia)

Equal parts sweet and savory, this dish is a long-cooking stew where lamb shares the stage with a host of spices. Lamb shoulder is the ideal stewing meat; it's plentiful connective tissue will melt down during the braising process to thicken the sauce. Beef or rabbit can also be used, though the cooking time may be shorter.

Ingredients
     3 lbs. lamb shoulder or neck, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 1/2 inch cubes
      1 teaspoon ground ginger
      1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      1 tablespoon ras el hanout (see note)
      1/4 teaspoon saffron
      1/2 cup water
      1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
      2 medium onions, finely chopped
      2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
      2 cinnamon sticks
      6 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned)
      2 cups dried apricots, roughly chopped, or raisins
      1 1/2 cups almonds, whole and blanched
      3/4 cup honey (preferably dark)
      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1 cup carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch thick slices
      1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped.

Method
1. In a bowl combine the ginger, pepper, ras el hanout, saffron and water and mix well. Add the meat and rub in the paste, coating evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
      2. In a Dutch oven or other heavy, lidded pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and cinnamon sticks and cook until the onions are translucent and the mixture is fragrant.
      3. Add the marinated meat to the pot and then the chicken stock to cover the meat. Bring the stock to a boil, and skim off any scum that appears.
      4. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring from time to time. Add water if the pot becomes too dry. Stew until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
      5. Add the apricots, almonds, honey, carrots, and ground cinnamon and simmer, covered, stirring often to prevent scorching, until the meat is very soft and almost falling apart, about 30 minutes longer. (If it is too soupy, uncover and simmer to reduce the sauce to a syrupy glaze.) Note: this recipe can be prepared in advance up to this point. Allow to cool,
      refrigerate and serve within a couple of days.
      6. Stir in the chopped parsley and transfer to a warmed serving dish. Serve immediately with couscous, rice or potatoes.
      Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

NOTE: Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mixture that translates as "top of  the shop." It usually includes a combination of ginger, peppercorns, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cardamom, black cumin, aniseed, coriander, cayenne, lavender, mace, nutmeg and turmeric. It can be purchased from Middle Eastern specialty stores or Kalustyan's, 800-352-3451 or http://www.kalustyans.com/. If you cannot find it, substitute an equal  amount of Chinese five-spice powder or a mixture of spices that are available (ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, coriander, etc.)

Offline Firo

Tagine
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 16:33:56 PM »
Pookie, google Anthony Worrel Thomsons (check spelling) Lamb Tangine.....Superb.....

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Tagine
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 17:14:55 PM »
Oh Mr Colwyn that sounds superb, going to give that one a go mmmmm
Thanks Fi - I'll have a surf around to see what I can find.    Great fun ahead :D

Offline posleeds

Tagine
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 18:19:45 PM »
Make sure you use a heat diffuser on the hob - I brought a lovely one back from Morocco, used it several times on the lowest heat & got a hair line crack in it. The bottom dish was unusable for cooking, leaked everywhere - shame cooked the veggies for Sunday dinner a treat.
Top dome got used for forcing rhubarb  :)

Offline janmack

Tagine
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 23:16:19 PM »
Nigel Slater has a fab Moroccan recipe which is stupidly easy!  Just google his name and I'm sure you'll find it.  Apricots, dates, honey etc can turn an ordinary stew into something quite exotic ;)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Tagine
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Tagine
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
Thanks Pookie I could find the prog but not the recipe, off to the shops and the kitchen:D

I preferred Constantine's dish authentic, the rival appeared to contrived and more like the silly  nouveau cuisine (bitsa meals), also the silly ways some present where the ingredients are piled on top of each other, crazy.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:49:20 PM by loz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf