Author Topic: What have you read that you would recommend?  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Old Daffodil

What have you read that you would recommend?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 18:29:10 PM »
I have read "My  Name is Red" and "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk and I am afraid I found them a bit depressing.
I did enjoy a book by Baron Patrick Kinross about Ataturk though.
 Off to Waterstone's and the library this week I think!

Offline thebillet

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 17:30:39 PM »
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown. Amazing account of the treatment of native Americans.

Offline javacoffee

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
The Alchemist by Michael Scott, easy reading and a lovely distraction from real life. Although after reading all in the series I found that I was a little disturbed when i saw the TV reports of dead birds falling from the sky!!! If you've read the book then you will know what I mean.

Also the Shantarem. What a cracker, an Australian bank robber escapes to India and ends up running a clinic for the poor whilst working for a crime gang, ends up in Afghanistan, falls in love and it's based on a true story. It's a huge read and very good.

The Book Thief. This book is narrated by the grim reaper and based on a German girl during the second world war. It gets a bit dry half way but the end is worth the wait. I usually read a book in about three to four days but this one took me ages, it's not very big but for some reason I took a whole month to finish it!

Anything by Lee Child. Lot's of gratuitous violence and the books all follow the same pattern. Good, but tough, guy gets into a scrape against bad guys. It's not a read I would normally go for but I tried him after finding out that he sells a book every 60 seconds! My wife likes them as well so give the first in the series a go, although you can drop into any of them no problem.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Historical fiction based on a priory in early England, this sounds dry but it's a cracking read and has everything.

Fall of Giants, again by ken Follett. More of the same but based on the first World War. Like the Pillars of the Earth the book is entwined around the fate of several families. I love history but never understood the cause of the first world war until I read this book!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
I'm reading my fourth novel by Barbara Nadel - a series of detective police stories set in modern day Istanbul. Well written with interesting insights about Turkey a British woman who has been visiting for 20+ years. (Be aware that she also writes novels about 1940s London).

P.S. The recommnedations above reminder me to reserve "The Girl with ..." at my local library - thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 13:30:17 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 13:17:44 PM »
I completely forgot I have read some of the Kathy Reich's books great stories.  She was the inspiration for the "Bones" series on T.V. although the T.V. series is not a patch on her books, in fact, nothing like them.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 17:20:44 PM »
Just picked up The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns from the library!Thanks Heatherhanum! :)

I read The Bookseller of Kabul, by a Norwegian journalist who lived with the family for a year in Kabul and gave a lot of insight into the way families live in Afghanistan.

Offline quackers

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:53 AM »
Anything by James Patterson, Karin Slaughter ,Patricia Cornwell and my favourite books, Wild Swans by Jung Chang and Angela's Ashes.

Offline Carpete

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 21:26:37 PM »
The book above, Portrait of a Turkish Family, which I have obviously put in the wrong section. Sorry.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 23:15:09 PM »
Any Peter James but especially the' Dead' series.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 23:16:54 PM by stoop »

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 18:04:34 PM »
Menu at the Melodi Bar in Fethiye. :P ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf