Author Topic: Aviary  (Read 2550 times)

Offline mike77777777

Aviary
« on: October 09, 2011, 16:49:01 PM »
I am moving over in February and am looking at buying a couple of budgies or finches to have as pets. I used to have an aviary when I was younger and would like to build one if we moved into a villa. Can't do that in a two bed apartment with shared gardens. Has anyone here built an aviary in Turkey. If so what birds do you have. Have you had any troubles with pests , rats snakes or other. What advice would you give..
Thanks Mike

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Aviary
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 17:19:17 PM »
KKOB he could be the one to answer you question, I doubt if there is a pet he didn't have when he lived here. :D

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Aviary
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
He didn't have a bloody monkey, like we did !!  :D:D: :): :)

Offline mike77777777

Aviary
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
I like monkey's but I couldn't eat a whole one.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Aviary
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
My family, when I was young, all kept caged birds, when we first married we had a budgie.   About 15 years ago I watched a programme where Kim Basinger was imploring people not to keep caged birds.  At the end of the programme she was in a forest watching flocks of parrots flying free and explained that birds like parrots and budgies love to live in family groups and fly for miles.  However, as humans like to have birds in cages the trade for trapping and catching birds continues.
This totally changed my mind about caged birds.  Why do we want to put them behind bars for the rest of there lives just to give us a hobby?
I have seen the sad little birds in the Pet Shops and always think of the ones flying free in the Basinger programme.  
This is my personal opinion but I hope you might think twice about birds and maybe rehome a dog or cat from the Animal Santuary instead.

Offline mike77777777

Aviary
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 16:15:50 PM »
If we buy a bigger place we will be rehoming dogs as my wife is going to help animal aid and is mad on dogs. I agree about birds being free but still think I'd like to have an aviary. I didn't feel I was being cruel to them. I'm willing to be convinced. Maybe Kim Bassinger could visit me and explain it all....

Offline ribeye100

Aviary
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 17:02:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mike77777777

If we buy a bigger place we will be rehoming dogs as my wife is going to help animal aid and is mad on dogs. I agree about birds being free but still think I'd like to have an aviary. I didn't feel I was being cruel to them. I'm willing to be convinced. Maybe Kim Bassinger could visit me and explain it all....

Mike,
If Kim makes an apointment to discuss this with you, I would be gratefull if you would give me, and probably other CBF members the chance to attend.:P

Offline mike77777777

Aviary
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 17:22:15 PM »
No problem..I'm working with my agent on an appropriate fee...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf